Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I had several different formative experiences with inspiration for trumpet where my ears perked up and I really said, "wow!"

The first one that comes to mind was when I was in 3rd grade and we had an assembly with a guest college jazz band. The student leading the band was a trumpet player and at one point he did a feature of Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good." That stuck in my head for days.

Then there was my sister - she was always an inspiration because she was older and could do so much more with the trumpet than I could.

There are three recordings, in order, that really knocked my socks off:

1.) Phil Driscoll - The entire "Celebrate Freedom" album - my friend's parents bought him the cassette
    2.) Maynard Ferguson, MF Horn, MacArthur Park
    3.) Stan Kenton '76 - Send in the Clowns

Later it was a collection of classical Wynton albums and Empire Brass recordings, but those experiences above were my main inspirational moments.

2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    Mellophoneman, you obviously have a very distinguished heritage.:thumbsup:

3. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    More a matter of being born into the right family:))

Below is a link to a photo of Merwyn (on left) and my Dad, Roger Ellis, taken in January 1945 at Minter Field near Bakersfield, CA.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6440/ishkabibbleanddad9jan19.jpg

4. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    My very first influence was Chuck Mangione. I grew up in the same town and his friends and love recording was often playing in my house. I was just starting out in elementary school in band and loved those melodic lines. next was Maynard, holy cats, I couldn't understand in 5th grade how one could play like that. My parents let me buy MF Horn and i listened over and over trying to figure it out. I still hav'nt. lol Then Maurice Andre, changed everything for me and my approach to practicing in 5th grade.

5. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Doc first, then Maynar, Bill Chase, Al Hirt, Wynton.
    Sadly I saw Miles on Saturday Night Live in the '80s and throught he was horrible and finally after hearing about him in forums I decided to check his recordings out. I really enjoy his music now, and I'm more cautious about judging artists one one sample of their work.
    Latest pro is Aurturo Sandoval but I still haven't heard any of his classical stuff. I love his arrangements and his ability to play killer high fast stuff with power and precision and play lyrical ballads with passion and elegance equally well.

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    As a young person in 1979 who was taking piano lessons, I loved Chuck Mangione's album Fun and Games and Herb Alpert's Rise. Those were the first 2 trumpeter albums I bought in 1979. But then it took me 20 years to start playing. Now it is Chet Baker's sound that inspires me the most.

7. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010
    Herb Alpert and Louis Armstrong...seems they were on TV (ole Ed Sulli show) alot back in the early '60s when I was a younger kid.

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Doc Severnson.

9. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Rafael Mendez

10. Myshilohmy

Myshilohmy Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Indiana
    For me it was Allen Vizzuti. My junior year of high school he was at a jazzfest at a nearby college and played his famous Carnival of Venice perfectly, and then did autographs. Me and some friends were at the end of the line so I got a picture of me and him on my cell phone, and he signed my case and I got a poster of him framed. He is sick!