Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    When I was a wee lad (maybe 10, I honestly forget), I check-out an album from the library: Al Hirts' "Horn Meets the Hornet" wherein he plays several popular TV themes, The Green Hornet among them. I listened to that for hours on end. I have since payed significant money for a profession transfer to CD from an unopened copy. It is as mind-blowing the the firsy day I lietened to it as a child.

I do have others that inspire me but I think Al Hirt was my first impression of a what I would like to sound like given an eternity to practice.

DK

2. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    For me, it all began with Harry James, and still he is the ONE!
    Then there was Doc, then Don Goldie(God he was great). Then Charlie Shavers(the closest to Harry of the swing players).

Today it's Arturo, James Morrison, Gary Guthman...and Harry James!!

By the way, to Nick Buono's neighbor. I knew Nick, he was a jewel!

3. Heuy

Heuy New Friend

Jun 11, 2010
    Darwin, Australia
    1st Louis Armstrong, 2nd Herb Alpert, 3rd Eddie Calvert and now a fan of the Aussie James Morrison :play:

4. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Well there is too many to list here.

My first inspiration was Al Hirt. (I love his dixieland sound).
    Later on it was these performers listed.
    Jazz: Louis Armstrong, Chris Botti, and Malcolm Aiken.
    Classical: Maurice Andre, Hakan Hardenberger, Wynton Marsalis, Alison Balsom, Tine Thing Helseth et al.
    Orchestral: Philip Smith, Adolph Herseth, Michael Sachs, Paul Merkelo et al.
    Other: Ole Edvard Antonsen, Eric Aubier et al.

I am sure I left out some performers but you get the idea.

Cheers.

Piccolomaster.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  5. melza

melza Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2010
    Australia
    The first was Chet Baker then Miles Davis and Bix Beiderbecke and well then the floodgates opened, I wanted to hear anyone who played trumpet

6. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    Armstrong (aged 7), Miles (aged 12), Cherry (aged 15), then Bowie, Wadada, Carroll, and the next trumpet player who plays stuff that is totally alien to me inspires me! I´m looking forward to it!

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Doc Severinsen. I used to stay up late and watch the Tonight Show when I would visit my grandmother. :play:

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Herb Alpert but I didn't know it until years later when I saw a photo of me at age 9, lying asleep on the living room floor, surrounded by album covers, mostly Tijuana Brass. One of my parents' parties, no doubt. I thought it was weird that I seem to know all those Herb Alpert solos, note for note, but I guess this explains it.

AFTER I took up the trumpet, 6 months ago, it was Miles Davis.

Turtle

9. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    My first drum & bugle corps competition in the 50's. The sound of that brass just blew me away. Drum corps became part of my life ever since.

10. baritonetrumpet

baritonetrumpet New Friend

Sep 14, 2010
    i always wanted to play jazz since i heard some as i grew up down in the south. now a tender age of fourteen i heard of bill chase and i shed a tear of the things possible with trumpet. i couldnt stop smiling like i had botox through the whole song. makes me want to practice more. and then thers region too ...