Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Miles. Kind of Blue was the first jazz CD I bought and it completely changed what I thought I knew about jazz (and music, and trumpet, and...).
    After that came a lot more Miles, Freddie Hubbard, thanks to his work with Herbie; Lee Morgan, Roy Hargrove, Chet Baker and on and on.
    I just grabbed some Hugh Masekela from iTunes. Unreal! From Hugh I guess I'll have to go to Herb Alpet and from there to Arturo.
    I'm a lot newer to this than most of you and I have to say that I'm loving the journey.
    I wish I could add my Dad to the list. I used to sneak many looks at his trumpet and cornet when I was a kid but I never actually heard him play. It's his trumpet I play now.
    Great question from the OP! It's good to remember these things.

2. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Maynard all the way. I first heard Conquistador in high school. Unfortunately I was a committed sax player at the time (as in mom and dad spent the money on the sax, and that was that). So I borrowed a friends trumpet, convinced HIS trumpet teacher to give me a couple lessons. And for the most part those lessons were me fiddling around just enough to make it seem like a lesson so I could get around to asking the teacher "so I was told you could play high (whatever)". And he'd do lip slurs up to these ungodly high notes, just like Maynard, and right there next to me in person! What a hoot, and what a fond memory. Now all these years later, after sax is long gone, I decided to pick up a cheap trumpet and go. Love the instrument, still love MF. Probably listened to MacArthur Park a hundred times now. And I have to admit, I prefer the flashy stuff like Maynard, Arturo, and James Morrison (since they back up their flash with talent, versus being all flash and no fire).

3. JohnSchmitt

JohnSchmitt New Friend

Sep 29, 2010
    The very first one that I would be able to attach a name to would probably be Arturo. I had never heard anything like it.

Now I would change my short list of influences to Bud Herseth and Wayne Bergeron. No offense to Arturo, but the two of them are more in line with what I want to sound like. I mean Herseth essentially defined the modern orchestral trumpet sound, if not the modern legit sound altogether. And Wayne just sounds like he's having more fun than [insert clever analogy here], plus holy crap. That's what a lead trumpet should sound like.

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Mine is three in one. From the album Dizzy Gillespie and the United Nation Orchestra (Royal Festival Hall)
    1. Dizzy Gillespie (just because he's Dizzy)
    2. Claudio Roditi (inspired the sound that I wanted)
    3. Arturo Sandoval (of course...the high stuff)

5. flugeler

flugeler New Friend

Aug 27, 2010
    SoCal
    My dad used to play Herb Alpert records on weekends in the late sixties/early seventies - just loved the sound. Or was it the cover of the Whipped Cream album??? The Chicago horn section, Maynard, Chuck, EWF, Basie, etc. followed. I had the good fortune of having a great trumpet player as a high school band director. He turned me on to Don Ellis, Doc, Maurice, Timofei, etc.

6. RipD

RipD New Friend

Nov 5, 2010
    As a new trumpet player it was probably Maynard's band in the 70s that was the first to give me that "wow" factor. But I never wanted or expected to play like Maynard.

The real inspiration when when I discovered who Bobby Shew was. I was listening to recordings of Toshiko Akiyoshi's band and Louie Belson's band in HS. They both had a sound I could not get enough of. What was the common element: Bobby Shew as lead.

I grew up in LA and had an opportunity to see both of them live. Bobby was simply amazing in live performances. He never slowed down and seemingly never got tired.

A Bobby anecdote: I had an opportunity to see Toshiko's band rehearse once. I saw the band (and Bobby) sight read one of those impossibly hard Toshiko charts nearly perfectly the first time through. (I think it was Son of Road Time). Her band was mostly LA studio guys who were clearly used to reading new stuff all day long. Their ability to play the chart so well the first time thorough was stunning.

Take a listen to the live recording of Road Time Shuffle, Tuning Up, or any other number of Toshiko charts with Bobby Shew playing lead. (The Tuning Up duet on the Road Time album is Bobby and Steven Huffsteter. Big mistake - I originally post this as Chuck Findley)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  7. azhiba

azhiba New Friend

Aug 25, 2009
    Arne Lamberth, Sweden
    Per Nielsen, Denmark
    Haakan Hardenberger, Sweden
    Maurice André, France
    Malcolm McNab, America

Later on came Wynton Marsalis, James Morrison and Alison Balsom

The world is full of skilled trumpeters... how wonderful

8. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

I saw the band on tour in Boston. Faddis was playing the lead chair and Aurturo was going to take over later in the tour. What concert!!! What a band!!!

bigtiny

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005

The other guy who you don't hear much about, but is a killer player, is Dan Rader. He was on the TALT band too and was also an LA studio guy. Haven't heard anything about him in years....

bigtiny

10. Edvard22

Edvard22 New Friend

Jun 28, 2010
    I would have to go with Tine Thing Helseth. I've been playing for 6 years, but i hadnt really been inspired by anyone. Then i heard a recording of her playing the third movement to Haydn's Concerto, and it had to be the best trumpet playing i've ever heard. Her tone is just so clear, and her fingers are amazing.