Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    When I was a kid I remember watching "Young Man with a Horn" I honestly don't even remember the movie any more, but for some reason this clicked with me as a kid in 3rd or 4th grade, and it prompted me to ask my folks if I could play the trumpet. At the time my folks said no.....until several years later when in 7th grade I had the opportunity to try a trumpet through a band program at a different school. Made decent sound first shot at it, so I asked my parents again if I could play it. After a bit of reluctance, they finally said yes....It came pretty easy for me early on and it gave me some positive feedback to latch onto...Not a bad thing for an early adolescent.

So I'd say Harry James was my original influence. I was given a bunch of records of Al Hirt from my grandpa (a professional piano player in our area in the 30's and 40's) that were cool to listen to later on.

After that I'd say in HS Wynton and Maynard were probably two of my favorites.

Gave the horn up for 10 or so years, but couldn't stay away. Coming back, my inspiration was Louis Armstrong, and then more recently Wayne Bergeron.

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    NO WAY!! Ah man...I wish I could've gone to those concerts more than any others....well, I wasn't even born back then...so too bad I guess...

3. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    When I was around 7 years old, Herb Alpert,hands down. Then later, Doc, Maynard, and recently Chris Botti !!!:play:

4. Diemond

Diemond New Friend

Sep 12, 2010
    Texas
    Nobody. I didn't care about the trumpet until I saw one in 5th grade. And I heard the sounds the guy playing it made. It was so amazing. So I decided to start playing it, and soon enough, I became what i am today.

5. MichaelCJones

MichaelCJones New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is easy, I was in 7th grade in a study hall in the choir room when the choir teacher put on Live at Jimmy's, McArthur Park, I was in love. A whole new world had been opened to me about the possibiliities of the trumpet as a solo instrument. That day is still clear in my mind... except for the name of the teacher.

6. buccinator

buccinator Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2006
    Bielefeld, Germany
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  7. JazzyTrumpetplayer

JazzyTrumpetplayer New Friend

Mar 24, 2010
    Allen Vizzutti!

8. Big Country

Big Country New Friend

Nov 13, 2010
    Smithfield, VA
    Loius Armstrong...mainly cause he just seemed to be having a blast. Then too many influences afterwards...all very cliche I am sure.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Without a doubt, it was Bill Chase. Heard all the greats as a kid since my dad was a pro and listened to them all. First time I heard him, he was playing solo on a song called "23 Red". Pretty sure it was with Woody Herman. Simply amazing. A few years later. I heard a song "Open Up Wide". Asked my dad who was that? He said Bill Chase! I was hooked! Still aspiring to that level.

10. SPFTrumpet

SPFTrumpet New Friend

Nov 30, 2010
    New Jersey
    The first trumpet player I ever listened to was Miles Davis in 7th grade, I bought Kinda Blue from a Barnes and Noble. That album was (and still is sometimes) on repeat 24/7 for a long time. He was my first taste of professional trumpet playing in any style. In terms of classical playing, it was either Wynton Marsalis or Phil Smith.