Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. ogauge47

ogauge47 Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    Al Hirt.

2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Herb Alpert, Bill Chase, and (of course) Maynard.

3. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    When I started in the 60s----Rafael Mendez and Doc Severinson....currently - many, many more, but specially Tom Harrell, Claudio Roditi, Brownie, lee Morgan, Chuck mangione, Al (He's the King!) Hirt, Maynard, and most of the current jazz guys who are recording today!:-)

4. Irensaga

Irensaga Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2010
    Manchester, UK
    The first for me was Maynard Ferguson.

5. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Definitely Wynton. I was just starting to play trumpet more seriously when Think Of One was released. It was also my first foray into jazz. It's nostalgic listening to it now, ~25 years later.

6. btomcik

btomcik New Friend

Sep 27, 2005
    Wynton Marsalis and his CD, The Carnival of Venice with the Eastman Wind Ensemble. When I was in high school.

7. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    Well I started playing in the early 70's so Maynard obviously was it during that time. Can't say I have ever had a favorite because I have a very understanding appreciation for several known players for what they do. Here is a short list based on how I hear them and by no means a complete list.
    For tone and technique - Alison Balsom
    Smart play - Wynton and Dizzy
    Improv - Phil Driscoll
    Ability - Doc S.
    Smoothness - Botti and Chuck M. (they make simple sound good)
    Getting down with it - Maynard and Bill Chase
    There are other greats that have some of these qualities but just rather overall good players like Louis, H James, Richardson and others.
    Now with this said, I have personally played with some that are just as good but have not gone the route of putting it down on media for others to listen to. Trumpet players area a different breed of folk and sometimes personalities (good or bad) weigh more on perspective of play than actual ability. Just my 2 cents on it.

8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Maynard

9. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    And let's not forget about Miles. He combined the old and the new to make it his own, but he was also in the right place at the right time to give him the reputation he has. I've always thought Miles was the musicians musician because you somewhat had to be able to understand the mindset to appreciate his music. Most everyone has heard of Miles Davis, but I doubt many could listen to him and say "that's Miles" unless you had an understanding of where he was trying to go with his music.

10. pistonhaus

pistonhaus New Friend

Dec 14, 2010
    Bud Herseth. The first time I remember hearing anything from a Mahler Symphony was a recording of Bud playing the Rondo fanfare out of Mahler's 7th. To this day I can't remember being as inspired as the first time I heard that.