Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. gasp1974

gasp1974 Piano User

Jan 27, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    1 Harry James 2 Louis & Herp 3 Maynard ever since...... then Arturo

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Louis Armstrong as jazz concerned...
    Classical - to be honest, I am not sure about his name. I saw a rehearsal of Berlin Phil and H. von Karajan on the TV and the 1st trumpeter was really aspiring - I don't remember what they played, but remember that then I decided that I should start playing trumpet...

3. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    In third grade I saw Herb Alpert on TV. That was the start, then I found about Louis. Then it was Al Hirt, and Doc. I thought he was the be all and end all of trumpet for awhile. Then I heard Maynard! I was obsessed for a few years, then the flood gates opened and I learned about all the trumpet greats mentioned in this thread, plus many others. My I pod is full of trumpet players!
    Bob

4. YamaMan

YamaMan Pianissimo User

Nov 29, 2008
    My first inspiration was Percy Humphrey.

My biggest inspiration is Bill Chase.

5. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    It seems that most trumpet players aren't too picky about who they listen to. What a wide variety of interests. I liked Maurice Andre, too. There really aren't any pro trumpet players I would say didn't inspire me.

Another studio player I really liked: Marv Stamm.

Anyone else familiar with him? Great all-around player.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I saw Marv at a Fribourg (Switzerland) Jazz fest while studying towards BM. Great trumpeter, it was a marvelous show.

7. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    Started off with Wynton, Doc, and Allen Vizzutti. I started listening to them and couldn't get enough. As I've grown as a musician I've included Phillip Smith, Miles, Chet Baker, Freddie Hubbard, Bill Chase, Maynard, Bud Brisbois, Roger Ingram, and Wayne Bergeron. I also really like Malcolm McNab (listen to the star trek soundtrack!)

8. Mr.Motown

Mr.Motown New Friend

Mar 15, 2009
    detroit michigan
    I would have to say the whole Bebop movement. Too many great players to name just one!

9. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I don't know if this counts, but when I was four or five, I walked into my grandparents house and good 'ole glenn miller's orchestra was playing in the mood, and that trumpet lick in the beginning got me hooked to the trumpet, and the next year I asked for a trumpet for christmas, and lo and behold an aristocrat trumpet sat under my christmas tree!

Then after that my grandfather showed me Louis Armstrong performances and more Glenn Miller songs and I was inspired to play like them!

10. Barbie

Barbie New Friend

Oct 9, 2008
    Brunswick, GA, USA
    For me it was my dad. He played pro for over 30 years. He had his 75th birthday yesterday, and has lost his lip, but boy could that man play in his day. I was trained classical piano, and picked up the horn just last November. I've found a teacher and lots of dad's old music. For me learning the trumpet is a lot easier than learning that piano!