Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. 72*

72* New Friend

Nov 29, 2008
    Back in the late 70s... Chuck Mangione. I still like his music.

2. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

I was first hooked on jazz thanks to Duke Ellington's band, but the first trumpet player in particular that caught my interest was Wynton Marsalis. I had the opportunity to see him live in 7th grade, and I still love his "Live at the House of Tribes" CD. However, right now I like Freddie Hubbard and Lee Morgan most, along side Maynard for the high energy/upper register fun.

3. jazztrpt006

jazztrpt006 New Friend

Jul 16, 2008
    Wpg, Mb
    For me, it was defiantley: Clifford Brown, Freddie Hubbard, Roy Hargrove, Lee Morgan and Matt Walden...Can't get enough of them!

4. JESTER

JESTER New Friend

May 17, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV
    When I was a kid, my next door neighbor was a pro player. He played with Harry James' orchestra and Vic Damone. His name was Nick Buono. Listening to him play day after day running scale after scale for hours on end is what got me interested. I started talking to him about music and if trumpet was hard to learn. He started giving me private lessons and and let me use one of his horns. On my 15th birthday, he gave me a Getzen Severson Eterna trumpet. The best horn I ever owned. He inspired me and got me started on a life long love of music. I also received some private lessons from Alan Ware, who played with Bill Chase. Both of these guys were influential in my love of music and the trumpet.

5. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Chris Botti. Cinema Paradiso made me fall in love with the instrument. :cool:

6. Ricko

Ricko New Friend

May 20, 2009
    South Florida
    Arturo, sadly. I bearly listen to the cat now. Why would I when I have gigs of Brownie, Harry James, Kenny Dorham, Fats, Wynton, Roy Hargrove.
    Arturos great no doubt. But it just sounds like hes trying to be too flashy.. Wayy to much. But I guess cats like him do some good. Made me pick up the horn, heh. And my ear has changed it's liking as well. The Maynard stage ended at 16/17 years old. Jazz is where it's at for me now.
    But they all inspired me one way or another. God bless them, and us all. Keep music alive!

7. Harold Zinno

Harold Zinno Pianissimo User

Jul 17, 2007
    Connecticut
    When I first started playing, the Tijiuana Brass were hot and doing prime time TV specials. Herb and the Findleys were my first inspiration.

8. RX-2Fan

RX-2Fan Pianissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Tampa FL
    For me It was Arturo Sandoval, because when i heard him play his sound was like no other. Then I heard Cat Anderson play and I thougt "that was amazing".

9. punkster

punkster New Friend

May 12, 2009
    Montreal
    Miles. On my first day of high school my music teacher asked if I'd like to play the trumpet. I was thrilled. The next day my father bought me the Milestones album and I mistakenly put on side B first. Miles has been my idol ever since and that tune (Milestones) has remained my all time fav. Thanks Dad.

10. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Al Hirt was the first pro I heard livearound 1971. Not a jazz player but had amazing command of the horn. His power was simply awsome.Got to meet him and he was gracious and funny.
    Next I heard Maynard around 72-73 at Lake Compounce in Conn. What can you say about Maynard that has not been said already. Also heard Cat Anderson live.
    As for straight ahead players,once I heard Freddie and Woody Shaw I was stunned. Only heard Dizzy in later years and he played well but he had lost alot chop wise by the time I heard him. Clark is another inspiration, he sat in with a college jazz band I played with. Fabulous player and an even better person.