Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    what do you mean Al Hirt not a jazz player?

2. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Louis Armstrong...by far and away!

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    For me it was Herb Alpert (and the TJB), on pop radio. When it was time in grade school to choose my instrument there was no question in my mind what I wanted to play. I'm still whacking away at it, so I guess it must have been the right choice.

4. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    For BremAl never considered himself a jazz player. I read an interview with him that you can probably find on the web where he made that statement. I beleieve he said that he considered himself a pop instrumentalist. He was a fantastic trumpeter for sure.

5. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Al Hirt was among the best trumpet players ever, in my opinion - very underrated.
    He played technical stuff with a big fat brassy sound. He really had some power and exciting technique. His sound could really fill up a room.

6. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Amen to that. I meant no disrespect to Al. He was one of the best to ever pick up athe horn. I was thrilled to have the oppurtunity to hear and meet him. He was so versatile and you are right about his power. The one time I saw him he didn't use the mic for many songs and he made it look so easy. Had Al decided to play just jazz he would have blown alot of people away. He chose to play pop music and Dixie and he kicked butt. He was The King.
    I forgot to mention another great player that I admired alot. Don Ellis was from another planet musically but so interesting and a creative player and composer. He died so young and so long ago many younger players may not even know who he was. If you have not seen the documentary on him check it out.

7. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    Don Ellis. yes, that's another one of my favorite players. He did a lot of off-meter stuff. he plays some solo work with Maynard on those old roulette recordings. Three More Foxes, I think. His jazz solo stuff is really creative.

8. rwflyboy

rwflyboy New Friend

Jun 20, 2009
    North East Georgia
    I was 16 years old when I heard Chuck Mangione and was visiting my Brother in LA. He got me Box seats at the Hollywood Bowl where he cut the album. I was just blown away by the fluid melodic solo's on the flugelhorn. Then there was Maynard... dang in the mid late 70's he was a real bear. Live at Jimmy's is still one of my favorites along with his Newport Jazz album 1954 I believe... But now... Miles in late 50's and 60's with Coltrane, Bill Evans etc.... not too many notes....plenty of air between phrases etc.

Oh, and to hear Jeff Tyzik (sp) playing lead with the big band he had on stage along with the Orch...dang it was a great night!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  9. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Louis Armstrong followed quickly by Maynard Ferguson after I chanced upon a copy of his album, "Si! Si! - M.F."

PS I saw Al Hirt live at Seton Hall University back in the sixties and he absolutely blew the room away -- UN-MIKED! He was a technical wizard and he had the second biggest sound I've ever heard after Maynard.

10. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    When I as 11 years old I went to see Benny Goodman in a theater in Terre Haute , In.Cootie Williams had recently left Duke and was featured by BG. When he came out and played Fiesta in Blue I lit up. It was just dazzling to see and hear those guys.Charlie Christian and Teddy Wilson among others.I had wanted to follow my trombone playing father but was discouraged when he had to give up the horn during the Depression. As I started to listen more I landed on Bix, Louis, Red Nichols, Rex Stewart and finally Buck Clayton.Eventually Dizzy came along and then Miles and everybody else. But, it was seeing Cootie and hearing that beautiful tone of his. That did it for me.