Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Rafael Mendez, "the Flight of the Bumblebee". I was 12 years old. It was 1960.

2. DanZ_FL

DanZ_FL Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2009
    Clearwater, Florida
    Gerard Schwarz comes to mind.

3. Rellon

Rellon New Friend

Apr 10, 2008
    Who did it for me it was Clifford Brown. I first heard him after Miles' Kind of Blue inspired me to begin playing. I found that I gradually filtered out Miles' sound concept when I began to improve and listened more to Brown. It was the album 'Pure Genius' cassette. I was scared and awestruck at the same time, first thinking that I chose the wrong instrument. I felt as if the trumpet world was way over the horizon from me when I listened to that album.

Today the rest of the world has gotten closer, but that album set me straight about what I had to do.

4. deadicon

deadicon New Friend

Jun 11, 2009
    the world
    wynton

5. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    When I was very young 12 years old/ that means 1960, I played slide-trombone (started in dixieland, later bigband) and was a Miles Davis fan.
    But I also liked Ruby Braff and Don Goldie (technically an amazing trumpetplayer and never mentioned in polls). Later in my life I changed instruments, bassguitar, sologuitar, piano and so on. Two years ago I stumbled by chance on some Bix Beiderbecke-records and there it started.
    I could not believe I didn't find him earlier in my life. That uncredible sound and the tragic feeling, all those beautiful notes with so much life and a shadowed sadness in them. I was sold. I bought my first cornet (Olds Ambassador), my second (Conn 36A) and my first trumpet (Yamaha 6345G) within three months. Now the big inspirations are: Miles, Bix, Louis, Lee Morgan, the early Freddie Hubbard, Chris Botti and my last inspiration concerning the flugel is a Dutch player, Ack van Rooijen, he is amazing:

YouTube - Ack van Rooyen "Round Midnight"

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    ?

?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    First player in any genre, Al Hirt. First classic player, Roger Voisin. First jazz player (I consider Al Hirt a pop player), Lee Morgan, not so much for his playing, which nevertheless was quite good, but for his extraordinary and limitless creativity.

8. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    I started lessons in 1953(12 years old) and my older brother got me a Rafael Mendez album-wow. Today I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I was overly impressed by that schmaltzy stuff.:oops:

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    My first inspiring trumpet player was James Morrison, the Australian prodigy. After I got more into classical, I really enjoyed Maurice Andre and Hakan Hardenberger's playing.

10. jonterman

jonterman Pianissimo User

Jan 4, 2009
    It was an entire brass funk/R & B cover band named 'Hey Baby' in the early 90's in Westchester County, NY. These guys played in a local bar called 'Wet Willies' (now closed) and they just knocked my socks off. I was a bass player in a rival band, so doubling on the trumpet wasn't an option at the time.

Since then I always wanted to play trumpet...and began last year!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009