Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Louis Armstrong

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Herb Alpert, then Miles Davis and Donald Byrd.

3. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    Definitely Freddie Hubbard. The first time I heard him was on Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage and Watermelon Man and thought to myself that this guy really burns. Incredible solos. How many of you memorized them and tried to play them on your trumpets?

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    My first exposure was Harry James, then Rafael Mendez (he was a great player - just about everyone played some schmaltzy stuff back then), then Maurice Andre. Now, it's Tine Thing Helseth. Not only does she have chops but she's a fox - what a combination!

5. d_rummer

d_rummer New Friend

May 26, 2009
    Sydney, Australia
    Freddie Hubbard!

6. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I remember hearing Clifford Brown's "It Might As Well Be Spring" after my girlfriend bought me a four-CD set of his. I was completely blown away.

I was always in love with the trumpet before then, but I truly believe that song gave me a new lease on life with my trumpet.

7. Bachstul

Bachstul Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    This thread is five pages long. All that inspired me are mentioned, so, I'm going to dare to step out and mention one who inspired me and did not play trumpet professionally.

He played a french horn, but he was an electric bass player, mostly, for The Who, ................... John Entwistle. The early works revealed much french horn playing, even in the studio recording of "Tommy". I was impressed that a rock band could incorporate a french horn in their music, and that actually, an electric guitar musician was playing it.......a regular, not a stand in.

Also, RIP, John Entwistle https://www.allposters.com/-sp/The-Who-John-Entwistle-French-Horn-1966-Posters_i3411939_.htm

8. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hear, Hear!

9. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    My band director hated my Harry James-inspired wide vibrato and let me know in front of the marching band. :huh: I didn't care, because people came up to my dad after concerts to deliver their compliments on my inspired playing. :thumbsup:

10. Ursa

Ursa Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Northern Michigan
    Chuck Mangione was the first pro to inspire me. His style has influenced me more than any other.

Someday I'll have to get me a flugel.