Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. robsdad

robsdad New Friend

Jun 13, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Randy Brooks playing Tenderly.

2. LJH

LJH Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Dayton, OH
    About 1977 as a college student I went to Wolf Trap Performing Arts Center outside of Washington, DC to see a trumpet player I knew very little about except that he had previously played with Stan Kenton. My brother insisted it would be a good show and that turned out to be an enormous understatement.

Like many others, when I saw and heard Maynard Ferguson and his band I was amazed and inspired. From that night until his passing I guess I saw MF more than 20 times in multiple cities and met him personally at a small venue called Gilly's in Dayton, Ohio in the late 1980s.

He inspired my love of trumpet which continues today, but while he is the first pro to influence me, he is not the last. Today, I am equally motivated and influenced by my teacher Basil Drew. Basil Drew has enjoyed a professional career as a band leader and teacher. He has taught many and my spending a mere 1 hour a week under his direction rivals the lift I got seeing MF play many times. Both men have been great motivators for me.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I listen to a LOT of trumpet players, but when I first started getting interested in jazz, two things happened:

-I heard a copy of Maynard's "M.F. Horn Two" which I then listened to at least once a day for a year...

-my Mom bought me a copy of Freddie's "First Light".

That was it. Between those two guys, that's all I needed to get inspired and start taking music VERY seriously...

bigtiny

4. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Freddie was the best jazz trumpet player of his generation. Great chops and his wealth of ideas were endless. Got to meet him once in a club in Boston around 81 or 82. He hung aroumd at the bar for awhile between sets to talk. When he got up to leave someone asked him what he thought of Miles Davis's new recording. His reply was "It sounds like Herb Alpert". Cracked everyone up.
    Woody Shaw was another great one. What a writer he was too. Saw him with Dexter Gordon a few times. Wow!
    Warren Vache is another guy I have recently gotten interested in. I have heard his name for years and once saw him in a movie with Wayne Rogers from MASH. Only in the last year have I started listening to him and man he can play!

5. supportlivejazz

supportlivejazz Piano User

Dec 4, 2006
    Quonnie Breachway
    To put things into perspective, I'm 64 and have been listening to jazz since I was about 12. Started going to the Newport Jazz Festival when it was still held in Freebody Park in the center of Newport. Half Note, Five Spot and The Vilage Vanguard when I was 16. I've also been a blues harmonica player since I was about 16. Still play some. I never thought of trying the trumpet until one night at the Snug harbor in New Orleans. I went there with a friend to see a local piano player and about half way into the first set a baby faced young man walked in with a purple cloth bag and stepped up on stage and pulled out a trumpet. Turned out it was a 19-20 year old Nicholas Payton. Blew (blue) me away. Bought an old Olds Studio trumpet in an antiques shop in Newport when I got back home and have been "playing" around since. So in spite of the fact that I had seen Diz, listened to Miles and Freddie and all for decades, it was Nicholas who got me playing.

Side note. I did think about trying out the trombone... love that sound. I bought a beautiful 1950s Olds recording Model from a retired player in New Hampshire. I was used to walking around the house and playing harp. I got the trombone home and tried the same thing. I kept banging into furniture and immediately knew that I was going to damage the horn and that it was just too big for me. The trumpet suits me much better.

6. trumpetgeek

trumpetgeek Pianissimo User

Aug 6, 2006
    I think I was in the 4th or 5th grade, maybe 1969. A kid use to practice trumpet in his garage which was right across the street from my class room. That kid was Leroy Jones. I still remember that!
    A couple years later I heard my first Al Hirt LP. THAT DID IT!!... But in 1974 I had my first taste of the great L.A. trumpeter OSCAR BRASHEAR. WOW!! I've been chasing his sound even since. And I'm not quitting until I achieve THAT sound!!!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  7. Phil Kersh

Phil Kersh Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2008
    Provo, Utah
    For me it was Manny Laureano. My parents brought me to a MN Orchestra concert in the early 80's and I heard him play Fanfare for the Common Man. That really made me want to play trumpet. Fortunately for me, I was able to study with him when I was a freshman in high school. His style, approach, everything has influenced me. Then of course there is Wynton Marsalis. It didn't hurt that Manny and Wynton were are Juliard together.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  8. jbrian50

jbrian50 New Friend

Jul 1, 2009
    Madison, Mississippi
    First it was Herb Alpert when I was a kid. I fell in love with the trumpet when I heard him play. Then it was Doc Severinsen. Then I "re-discovered" Miles and Dizzy. Now I'm a huge Chris Botti fan.

9. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    That would have to be Doc. After my first year of band, the percussion instructor gave me one of Doc's CD's and I was hooked. Dale has passed away since then but I think of him often and how he, despite being a percussionist, had so much to do with my love of the trumpet.

10. straduser21

straduser21 New Friend

Jul 2, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Wynton. His concerto CD was the first trumpet CD I had, and made me want to play just like that. Since then, I've been turned on to any strong trumpet players.