Who was the first pro trumpet player to inspire you?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rbdeli, May 17, 2009.

1. teacherchops

teacherchops New Friend

Jul 15, 2007
    Charlottetown, P.E.I.
    Being a teen in the '80's and really starting to get interested in trumpet, it was definately Wynton Marsalis. Then my brother, who was a radio dj, gave me some Herb Alpert, Tower of Power. Later in my teens I got turned on to Chuck Mangione, and the Gabrielli recording with the Chicago & Philadelphia Brass sections. Now lots of players do it for me. There are so many talented trumpets players out there! It is very exciting!

2. jsimpher

jsimpher New Friend

Aug 10, 2008
    It would either have to be Clay Jenkins or Mike Vax.

3. Bruin

Bruin Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2008
    L.A.
    The very first pros who inspired me were:

Louis Armstrong
    Al Hirt
    Herb Alpert and the T.J. Brass

My list rapidly expanded in high school when I actually got into playing jazz trumpet.

4. garrett786

garrett786 New Friend

Sep 24, 2009
    Louisiana
    Lee Loughnane with Chicago

5. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    Louis Armstrong, Herb Albert

6. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Hearing Herb Alpert and Al Hirt on the radio in the late '60s made me want to play a horn of some sort, but I initially ended up playing trombone, and by the end of high school, tuba.

Maynard played in my home town in 1977, when I was a high-school freshman, and inspired my fascination with the trumpet. Chuck Mangione's constant presence on the radio a few years later added fuel to the fire. Yeah, that was flugelhorn, but it was still two octaves higher than tuba.

My senior year in high school I started playing trombone again, just to play something other than the bass line. My freshman year in college I started struggling with cornet.

Almost 30 years later I'm a trumpet player, and it's all Maynard's fault.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Harry James, Al Hirt, Bunny Berrigan, Wally Tabor, Herb Alpert, and lastly Chuck Mangione( took me years to finally get a flugle, though):oops:

8. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Posted something awhile back on this thread and forgot a really great performer. I saw Maurice Andre in Manhattan many years ago and it is a performance I can still hear in my head. He played The Haydn and Hummel. His first notes on the opening of The Haydn changed the way I look at the trumpet forever. I have never heard such a pure sound either before or since that day. I remember thinking to myself that was the way a trumpet is supposed to sound.

9. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    For me it was, Louis Armstrong, Red" Nichols & Herb Albert. :play:

Later - Arturo, Botti and anybody else that has a great sound. :play:

10. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I listened to a lot of trumpet players over the years and the first time I was inspired was years into my musical journey. I went to a clinic at Wake Forest where Doc Severinsen was performing. It was inspiring to hear the artistry. there is something about a live performance that transcends the records (at that time) radio or television. Although I had heard Harry, Satch, Dizzy, etc., the first time I was truly INSPIRED by a trumpet player was hearing Doc live.