Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    If your guardian angel came to you tonight and granted you that you could play exactly like any trumpet player in the world (at their peak of ability), who would you pick?

Me? I'd pick Bud Herseth. His musicianship is out of this world.

2. bugler16

bugler16 Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2003
    I would have to agree Bud Herseth although I might be tempted to lean towards Phil Smith or Jens Lindeman

3. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    Bud Herseth is the man, but even Bud bowed to The Boss admitting that in his prime he was the man and is still the man born with the most God given talent...
    MF for me, baby! :shock: :roll: 8)

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Gozzo.....

5. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Al Hirt! I have been listening to his 1960's era recordings lately, and I now appreciate him more than ever.

6. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Actually . . . (and this is NOT to be considered at all egotistical, for it is NOT) but . . .

I am grateful that the Lord blessed me with enough talent to thoroughly enjoy playing trumpet myself.

I may not be the greatest trumpeter in the world . . . but I surely do enjoy playin' the horn!

I hope most of you feel the same way, for it is a true blessing to enjoy playing the horn as much as I do!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

PS: Thanks to all the great players though the ages for giving us all the inspiration and motivation to take up the horn . . . especially to Louis Armstrong. I didn't come from a real musical family yet I wanted to play the "clarinet" just like Louis. Luckily, the music store knew that I MEANT to say CORNET!

Louis was my first idol . . . and not a bad one to have either!

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Uan Rasey. He may have been the greatest trumpet player to ever play. Complete musician, total command of the instrument. One of the finest human beings you would ever meet. He recorded over three thousand movies!! Countless record dates, TV shows etc. An exceptional teacher as well.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As much as my heart wants to say someone like Maynard Ferguson, my head has to go with Bud Herseth. Here's why:

Sound
    Power
    Control
    Musicianship
    Longevity (this one because we all know that not only could Bud really nail it down, but he did so for an unprecedented length of time, a real accomplishment in my opinion.)

If you could play like Herseth, there would be virtually nothing that you couldn't do on the instrument.

9. schilke61

schilke61 New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    ITALY
    Prof. Adolf Scherbaum

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    Ray Mase. Perhaps the finest musician to ever play the trumpet.