Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    In this world now days, people are looking for virtuosos. And as much as I would love to have the ability to do double and triple tonging, I would never put anyone before Maynard Ferguson. He's my inspiration, and made me want to pick up a horn. For me, it's not all about being able to keep a perfect tone quality or tongue like Rafael Mendez (He's Amazing BTW). I actually do prefer rather high lead trumpet screaming, and that's still not mainly the reason why I choose MF. He was just to me personally, the greatest trumpet player ever. He had the biggest tone quality, had the most presence on stage, set out the most hit records of Jazz, inspired many people, made a lot of great Trumpet players known, helped kids out in schools, just tell me what he didn't do! The man had passion for his horn, and it shows because he toured every hour of his life. That is why I would always go with Maynard.

2. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Maynard(Trumpet, that is):-)
    I completely agree with you about Maynard's stage presence, musicianship, and ability to inspire. Awesome guy, I love his stuff, and have quite a bit of it. I have nothing but reverence and respect for the man.
    However, the total technical command of the horn is possesed by Maynard, as well as many many others. The classical phenoms such as Herseth and Mendez are incredible. Different from Maynard, but possesed many of the same qualities. They simply expressed them in a different way.
    I gotta agree Maynard=one hell of a player, one of my favorites, and,a virtuoso in his own way:-)

3. bkonstans1

bkonstans1 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 19, 2007
    Aurora, IL
    If MF and Bud Herseth could somehow spawn a trumpet prodigy child, I would play like him.

4. DeerSlayer555

DeerSlayer555 New Friend

May 25, 2008
    St.Louis
    Maynard all the Way!!!!!

5. carteru93

carteru93 New Friend

Jun 16, 2008
    Sudbury, Ontario Canada
    Can't choose, Maynard for his amazing screaming and lead ability, and Arturo for his jazz improv and low range pedal tones also, and of course his classical ability.

6. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Hehe, great to know you like him! But what separates him from others is his tone quality :p, such a fat sound!

7. B

B New Friend

Jan 19, 2004
    Northshore of Boston
    Doc Cheatham

a close second would be a tie between Dizzy and Miles

now for third Clark Terry

8. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    James De La Garza

9. Tammerman175

Tammerman175 New Friend

Oct 19, 2007
    arturo sandoval, no doubt in my mind. He has it all, high notes, style, tone, pedal tones, and can improv with the best of them.

10. Euphoniumlord

Euphoniumlord New Friend

May 27, 2008
    I am young and inexperienced, but I will go with Jean Baptiste Arban. I just love his music!

Maynard is a close second though.