Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    James Morrison....best jazz trumpet player I've heard

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Doc Severnsen

3. tutin_trumpeta

tutin_trumpeta Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I'd have to say Des Worthington. I guess most of you have never heard of him, he used to play Principal at the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic until a few years ago. I chose him because although he doesn't play professionally anymore (he teaches instead - funnily enough he's my teacher) and was never a world famous soloist, he was the Principal of a world class orchestra and to me (and this is only my opinion) that is just as good as, if not better than, being a world famous soloist (that's not to say being a world famous soloist is a bad thing, because it's not).

4. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Tis true FB. If he lived, the history of Jazz trumpet would be no where near where it is today.;-)

I'd have to go with Wynton or Sergi.

5. hubnub

hubnub Piano User

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Re: who would you choose ?

I'll tell you what Wiz (with all due respect)..... If Clark Terry hadn't been sitting behind the Ellington band, Dizzy wouldn't be Diz.... I agree that Diz was on from 45-59 (would quite stretch it to 1964), but Clark (like a lot of those cats) found good job security playing in the Basie and Ellington bands.

6. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Gerard Schwartz

7. DarkKnight88

DarkKnight88 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2008
    Tallahassee/Bradenton, Fl
    I agree with everyone who wants to keep their own abilities, sound, and style. I feel the same way. However, it is very difficult to choose between all of the great trumpeters.

But, if I could choose anyone:

Classical/solo work: Adolph Herseth or Rafael Mendez.

Jazz: Arturo Sandoval (he can do it ALL) or "The Boss" (Herseth said that Maynard wasn't only the best trumpet player of all time, but the best BRASS player of all time...Now, that is saying something)

It may come as a shock to some of you...But, I have NEVER heard of Harry James before looking into this thread. I must admit that I'm intrigued by the acclaim as "The best trumpeter ever" by several of the posters in this thread, and by Doc. So, where can I find some of his recorded material? I'm really interested in hearing him.

8. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Miles Davis

9. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    It IS a bit of a shock to think another trumpet player never heard of Harry James. Something like my trained artist friend who had never heard of Georgia O'Keefe.

Just go to Google and input Harry James and you'll come up with quite a few web pages. You'll get some video clips of him playing on youtube and lots of sources for buying a few of his records.

Listen. Enjoy!:lol:

10. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Bud Herseth
    Hakan Hardenberger
    Maynard Ferguson

How 'bout a combination of the three? I also like James Morrison. He is pretty ridiculous.