Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Roger Ingram

2. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    myself - then I will finally know how I will be when I am peaked out...

however If I had to sound/play like someone else then I guess it would be bill chase

-marc

3. Still Trying

Still Trying Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2003
    Lake Jackson, TX USA
    I'd like to be able to play symphonic music like Herseth. There may be some his equal, but no one was better (IMHO).

I'd like to be able to play lead like Conrad Gozzo. There are some with a higher range, but I've never heard anyone with better tone, control, or style.

I'd like to be able to play jazz like Bix Beiderbeck. I know he played cornet, and died a long time ago (relatively speaking), but he played jazz so lyrically. I love his style.

And finally, I'd like to be able to play technically like Rafael Mendez, a boyhood hero of mine. He was so good, at times listening to him play was more discouraging, than encouraging. He set the standard so high (at least for me).

But like Tom, I love playing, and my very modest accomplishments have and do fill me with a satisfaction and pleasure that I get from no other activity. I'm just thankful that one does not have to be the best in class to enjoy playing.

4. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    BOBBY SHEW!

A great LEAD PLAYER, great JAZZ PLAYER, great TEACHER.....fabulous sound, ease of playing, very expressive and individual musician!

I always find something new to listen to on his recordings.

5. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    Has to be MF but what happened to Paul Cacia? I cant get any recordings of his in the UK.
    Alan

6. Liberty Lips

Liberty Lips Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2003
    Are you guys kidding?
    MAURICE ANDRE

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    H. Clarke.

8. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Best trumpet player

Big Mo Andre - Nobody else is even in the game.

Seth Moore

9. shofar

shofar New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    If I had only 1 choice...it would have to be Malcolm McNabb. Sound, control and interpretation. But then like others have said there are bits and pieces of so many other different players. Doc, Maynard, Gozzo, John Harner, Herseth, Arturo, etc...and the list goes on and on and on and on........

See ya, Rog

10. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Clifford Brown