Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Maybe I should explain myself concerning Clifford.

When he died he was, IMHO, no where near his potential so I'd like to start where he left off. 8)

2. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Al Hirt. I have a fondness for the dixieland/jazz sound.

3. Buzz

Buzz New Friend

Nov 11, 2003
    McDonough, GA
    If I could play like one guy at the top of HER career, it would have to be Leisl Whittaker.
    Meg

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I have to very opposing role models, maurice andre for legit stuff, and miles davis for eveything else, two sounds about as different as possible but I try to imitate them both.

5. mileage

mileage New Friend

Jan 23, 2004
    London
    For me it has to be Tim Morrison.

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ooh, tough one.

Well, I have been told I sound like Maurice Andre (I have the critique sheet to prove it). But I really think that the trumpet that I would love to be is one that I feel has all but disappeared after Johnny Carson retired; Doc Severinsen. I have both some of his jazz and his classical work, and I just love his stuff. He has that tone that even if you are sitting in the far corner of the theater, you can just feel the power. BUT a super close second was Harry James. You wanna talk power, look at him.

7. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I was curious when someone might mention Harry James. Bud Herseth himself has made mention of Harry James as being a real player. Frank Kaderabek also thought very highly of Mr. James.
    I am a bit surprised Doc hasn't been mentioned more often.

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Even scarier, a current college freshman who listens to Harry James, listened to him all through HS. No rap for this cat!

9. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2003
    Phoenix, Az
    Wow! This is a tough call for me to make, but if I had to pick only one player I would most like to emulate it would have to be Louis Armstrong. Lately I've noticed that the more of his material I really listen to, the more I am amazed at his creativity.
    Sincerely,
    Dan

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Good Lord, I'd love to end up where Brownie left off. It is amazing to consider his potential, BUT his output in his twenties has never been matched, IMHO.

Dave