Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Wynton Marsalis.

I just love his playing.

2. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    LOUDEST PLAYER????

What a thread :twisted:

My dearly beloved Carol, my little Wheaten Terrier, and my neighbors---must in truth, think that I AM BADDEST-LOUDEST-WORSE trumpet player on the plant----- :shock:

LOUD???? Yes, I could probably add a few names like "JESSE MCQUIRE" My favorite KING OF BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!" Also Chuck Findley, and Randy Brecker---both can PEEL THE PAINT OFF ABOUT ANY WALL!!!!

However----BOTTOM LINE!!!! It still takes a gifted musican and artist to keep the POWAAAAA! under control. I still am an advocate of Don Jacoby...who forever told us...to use CONTRASTS in our playing. This alone can give the impression that when its time to really GO FOR THE FFF....we can still keep our sound from breaking up into a bad case of the BLAAAAATS! :wink:

Yes, Andre to Zuttiieeeee' our world is filled with sooooooo much talent. I can't wait to hear Wayne Bergeron's half time music???

3. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Adolf was truly blessed.

This genius..as you know, according to Mauric Andre'(a close colleage and friend of the mighty Scherbaum) used to alway marvel that how such a HUGE SOUND...could come forth so easily frin such a small phyical body like Adolf's.

for a real treat through memory lane go to:
    www.josef-bayer.de/scherbe/index.htm to hear more about this ICON that left this world a lot of wonderful music.
    I just wish that his recordings could be re-mastered. This would be such gift.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    BBD, good to see you got your priorities straight! Bandmate of mine has a Wheaten too...lovely little dog. Me? I've got this honkin', dog chow processin', tail waggin', face lickin' black lab who thinks he's one of the kids.

'Course my lovely Missus who let me buy a new Schilke and who is about to let me buy (for half price already!...such a deal!) a brand, spankin' new Eclipse.

My kids...all of 'em (including the 24 year old ne'er do well who has yet to grow up).

Trumpet players? Anyone who plays better 'n me. The mood changes, I think it depends what I heard last.

5. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    Boy, that is a hard one for numerous reasons because I like so many different playing styles and attributes of different players.

I think My choice would be Rafael Mendez.

Others that are high on my list would be Doc, Maurice Andre, the soft lyrical touch of Chet Baker, Clifford Brown - before the first accident when he still had his upper register, Herseth and my favorite leadplayer Conrad Gozzo. Could I roll all them into one player?

Too difficult!

Mike

6. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Bud Herseth or Bernie Adelstein

7. bkmdano

bkmdano New Friend

Nov 13, 2003
    This is a tough one. Even though I consider MF my favorite and think he is the greatest. I don't want to sound like him. It's just not me. The player I would like to sound like or have his chops for a day is Doc.
    I love his tone and versatility. His personality is quite different from mine, a little flash wouldn't hurt.

8. the chief

the chief Pianissimo User

Feb 9, 2004
    I'm still young (27), so I'd consider this 'gift' as a starting point for my future learning and improving.

Not my favorite player, but I'd have to go with Doc.

9. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Bernie Glow.

10. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    I'll second this. A truly amazing musician, I've tried to copy his sound and approach to playing since hearing him in the late 60's.