Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. jazzsolotrumpet

jazzsolotrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2003
    Is it bad that I havent even heard of half of these people?

Oh yeah, Wynton Marsalis...

-Matt

2. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

Yes, it's bad.....

3. JoeCool

JoeCool New Friend

Dec 9, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Phil Smith, Chris Botti, Rick Braun and Herb Alpert ( not necessarily in that order) all rolled into one.

4. diz the wiz

diz the wiz New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Vaudreuil,Quebec,Canada
    who would you choose ?

8) dizzy gillespie! in the history of jazz trumpet,nobody can come close to diz at is peak (1945-1964) he had all what you can want,range ,complex idea,i have all is recording and on some, he play with roy eldridge and harry edison,on some others he jams with the duke ellington trumpet section,and as good as they are ,they sound pedestrian compare to diz,i know he scare a lots of peoples because his style his so complex,but at his peak he can play circles around everybody.

5. Lazorphaze

Lazorphaze Piano User

Feb 3, 2004
    If I could choose someone to sound like....I'd have to choose Louis Armstrong.
    Dizzy-played weird
    Miles-not really my style
    Wynton-too small jazz, not really big band screamer.
    That's all I evaluated

6. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    I'd love to have the flawless technique of any classical player. Give me the skill of any one of them and I'll be happy combined with my command of jazz and improvisation, which though definately isn't total is more than I have to boast as far as techique and classical abilities though.

7. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Interesting story. I met Doc Severinsen in Miami in 1972. I got to chat with him quite a while. He told me that for a 25 year period from 1940-1965, there wasn't another trumpet player fit to carry Harry James trumpet case as far as he was concerned.

8. bilboboone

bilboboone New Friend

Mar 13, 2007
    Springfield, MO
    I just love Brownie's sound. Miles is my favorite trumpet player but Brownie just had that silky smooth smooth sound that I fell in love with from the first note of his I ever heard.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Amen!
    I would send the angel to somebody else in need of something important. I am glad that we have to EARN what we do and not get something for nothing!
    There are too many greats for me to pick a favorite. The closest to perfect for me is Urban Agnas from the Stockholm Chamber Brass. I still wouldn't want to be his "clone".

10. MFMeow

MFMeow New Friend

Jan 18, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    There are so many that I admire and I will never be fit to so much as shine their shoes (or oil their valves or polish their mouthpieces). But... it's got to be either Maynard (I'm thinking of old MF ballads like "Hey There", not the screamy high note stuff) or Harry James. Those are the ones that turn me inside out when I hear them. If I had to pick just one, I'm going to say Mr. James.

Kirsten