Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. rickyc

rickyc New Friend

Mar 31, 2007
    Bobby Hackett, Al Hirt, Chris Botti

2. Sabrbc

Sabrbc New Friend

Mar 30, 2007
    Pasadena
    Will Scarlett-totally!

3. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    I would have to go with Doc Severinsen. I heard him play from the 3rd row when I had just started playing and it always kind of stuck with me.:-)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Alan Vizzutti

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Well, I know my Dad (a big Harry James fan) would hate it, but I have to say Maynard. I've been listening to him since the '70's and nobody does like he did.
    Bob

6. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    The title of greatest trumpet player in the 20th and 21st Centuries is, without any doubt whatsoever, is Harry James.

Get some of his records and play them before judging. I agree with Doc's earlier comment about him (mentioned earlier in this thread) that no one could touch him in his prime, but I add that no one ever has since.

7. asc1969

asc1969 New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I agree there are a great deal to choose from. I actually like James Morrison. To me he has great control over the instrument and can wail with the likes of Maynard. I don't know if he's reached his prime yet or not but I'd take being able to play like that any day of the week.

8. asc1969

asc1969 New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I agree there are a great deal to choose from. I actually like James Morrison. To me he has great control over the instrument and can wail with the likes of Maynard. I don't know if he's reached his prime yet or not but I'd take being able to play like that any day of the week.

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    MF has been my hero for about 50 yrs, for sheer excitment and exuberance and in your face playing. If I could play like that, now that I am older, would have to watch out for a " heart attack" . I did learn something from a video on Dailymotion where he gave tips on proper stance and body posture to get the high notes. Worked some for me!

10. hsa-arch

hsa-arch New Friend

Mar 30, 2004
    New England
    The two guys on the left. Wayne for his amazing chops and techinical ability and Boss for the showmanship and love for life.