Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Rudy

Rudy New Friend

Apr 29, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hey, no one mentioned the legendary "Dizzy"......

2. Rexbo

Rexbo New Friend

May 8, 2007
    Middle TN
    I agree with previous posts about not missing the joy of my own meager accomplishments. However, if I could experience another's abilities for one day, I would choose Arturo Sandoval or Clark Terry.

3. daveythewavey19

daveythewavey19 New Friend

Jan 31, 2007
    Mendez, his playing was so joyful!

4. tonidimitri

tonidimitri New Friend

Apr 23, 2007
    sydney australia
    im reading all the comments and i am greatly stunned that you have all overlooked the one and only...... SERGEI NAKARIAKOV he is by far gods greatest gift to world as far as a trumpeter playing is concerned

5. DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod

DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod New Friend

May 10, 2007
    Southern Tier
    Well this is a very hard question to answer since there are so many amazing trumpet players out there. But mine would have to be a Jazz flugalist Chuck Mangione, I lover of jazz and I also love the sound of the flugalhorn, so that has the perfect combination, plus Chuck Mangione is a musician, he plays the flugal but he can also sing his part very well.

6. Shelbywmccarty

Shelbywmccarty Piano User

Apr 21, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I think that I would pick Doc. Simply. He was such an amazing player, and had more personality in his jackets then I will ever have.

7. jaydarling

jaydarling New Friend

Mar 3, 2007
    I'm with Tom on this one. I am simply EXTAORDINARILY happy just to be able to play at all. I am only a mediocre trumpeter compared to most of the guys and gals on this site, but the enjoyment I derive from playing is AWESOME.
    My inspiration was much more humble than Tom's though, I wanted to play just like my DAD. That is the reason I am looking for the best way to have his horn cleaned up and return it to him as a gift.
    Thanks TM for the opportunity to find out th good stuff.
    Jay

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  8. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    It is a very hard question, and like Ed said, my answer would vary, but reading all the posts brought some things to mind.

I'm thankful I can play like Robin, Tom, and others said. Even at my mediocre level. I just finished perusing Trumpet Blues, so Harry James came to mind. My teacher Walt Laursen was just a wonderful player and a really fine human being. I still hear him and feel him in my heart when I practice.

Great players everyone mentioned.

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  9. bobtrumpet

bobtrumpet New Friend

Jan 4, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    I'd choose myself. I'd love to hear myself at my peak - 'cause I'm sure not there now! :-)

To be serious, of those I have had the pleasure of hearing personally (as opposed to recordings - too many to name), I'd have to choose either Phil Smith, Jens Lindemann, or Bert Truax.

Regards,

Bob Eye
    Dallas, TX

10. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'm with Tom on this one!

I've worked hard to develope into the player that I am. I want to be me! Now that's not to say that I wouldn't mind having some attributes of much better players then me; but in the end I want to be me. I love my sound; I finally found it and it's mine!

As for my favorite; Wow I wouldn't know where to begin!