Who would you choose?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by richtom, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Rudy

Rudy New Friend

Apr 29, 2007
    NW Florida
    DevilishTrumpetPlayerGod,

have you heard Arturo Sandoval on Flugel? He's incredible. I mean I grew up in the 1970s w/ the likes of Chuck Mangione as well but of course Arturo wasn't here yet. Check him out someday. He's an all around artist no doubt.

Rudy

2. adonis74

adonis74 Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2007
    Palm Springs, CA
    I'm watching Young Man with a Horn, supposedly about Bix Beiderbecke, and Harry James was the musical director dubbing all the trumpet work Kirk Douglas was shown playing.

While it's not a definitive work of trumpet playing, it reminds me of how great he was, and much influence he had on me. I have to say, again, that Harry James is the best overall modern-day trumpet player.

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    No doubt for me on this one. As much as I love to play classical I'd have to say if I could play like anyone it would be Wayne Bergeron.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

As I play mostly cornet, it would have to be Bix Biederbecke from Davenport, Iowa (USA).

His candle didn't burn long, but he had the "sweetest" tone on cornet that I strive for as he played from the heart.

Best wishes!

Lloyd

5. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I would want to be the best cornet/trumpet player I can be. I try to get my students to be themselves and not copies. Also there are so many great players to choose from... Herseth, Phil Smith, Susan Slaugher, Manny, Gary Bordner, ....I wouldn't know where to begin.

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, CornetGuy,

It is certainly the goal to teach students to be themselves and not carbon copies. Yet, some students have a personal goal to copy their heroes and that may help them strive to be the best they can be.

Thanks for all you are doing to teach your students.

Best wishes!

Lloyd

7. Makke

Makke New Friend

Nov 3, 2006
    The Netherlands
    I guess my pick would be Derek Watkins. He has such a sweet sound.

8. Shelbywmccarty

Shelbywmccarty Piano User

Apr 21, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    In responce to the people saying to be original. I like my sound but I think that I could be used to hearing DOC's sound come out of my horn. I think I could live and be happy with it.

9. Attila Monoki

Attila Monoki New Friend

May 19, 2007
    Budapest, Hungary
    Hmmm guys... I was wondering why just 3 of you mentioned Maurice André... ?

He is the trumpeter. Noone else can play with such a rich and beautiful musicality. I think he is inimitable and unique.
    All the trumpeters are owe him with a deep bow coz he has risen the trumpet to the level of a real solo instrument like the violin, etc.

10. olbrneyes

olbrneyes Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2007
    Portland, OR
    I have just finished watching a dvd of Harry James from the sixties. I know I have said it before, but I would encourage all young players to listen closely or watch Harry. Not the stuff from the 40's when he made his money, but the jazz recordings of the 50-60's. Listen to "The King James Version" and cd's from near the end of his career. Harry was THE complete player. Perfect embouchre, incredible breath control and perfect control in all registers. And by the way, I have seen Harry popping double high A's. Which old school players didn't do often.