Who's Herb Alpert?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Smithi20

Smithi20 Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2007
    London
    On a previous post Chris Botti was described as the New Herb Alpert.... I went to Herb Alpert.com and on the low res page clicked into music, and it just said "page not found"......

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Aparently a server problem, the high speed site works fine.

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    No!!

Am I really that old? Also look up The Tijuana (sp) Brass and then listen.

Regards,

Trevor

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

You should be able to find his stuff on YouTube......

There are a whole generation of us who had fathers who were Herb Alpert nuts.

Very commercial but he really did a lot of fun music.

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    When I was 5 years old The Tijuana Brass started making noise. Fun, toe-tapping tunes says I. Though at ages 5 to 10, I may not have been the very best at assessing categorically "fun" and "toe-tapping."

I did tap my toes. 'Tis true.

6. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Haha my dad played all kinds of music, and he was always saying we have "natural rhythm" which as an adult sounds pretty funny since we're awfully white with maybe just a little Navajo Indian mixed in....

When I was a teen/young adult I'd not be caught dead saying I like Herb Alpert, but now I think he's cool. I plan to be able to play all his stuff.

7. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    He also was one half of A&M records.

In 1962, Alpert formed Carnival Records with Jerry Moss, which later became A&M (based on their initials) and was eventually sold to Seagram for $500 million in 1989.

8. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    And...he's STILL recording long after the Tijuana Brass left town...a mellower sound.

9. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    So true, so true! :D

10. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Herb Alpert is now one of the most gracious donors to music education. He just gave a very very very large sum of money to UCLA. I think it was at least 20 million. It is now called the Herb Alpert School of music. As well as this, he has given money to CalArts and many other schools in the Los Angeles Area. He was the A in A and M records. I had the chance to meet him last year at the Grammys when he received his lifetime achievement award. He is a really nice guy and he said he will continue practicing, and will put on shows at his restaurant every now and then.