Who's Herb Alpert?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    When I was young, my mom had a bunch of his records, she would play them at dinnertime. Herb Alpert is partially the reason I began playing my mom encouraged me a lot because she loved the sound of the trumpet.

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Call me stupid, got goose-bumps.

3. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Isnt it great!

4. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    I still remember listening to Herb & The TJ Brass as a youngster.
    His music never failed to pick up my spirits. It's good to hear all that
    he's done with his fortune. Nice to know that some musicians are giving
    back as good as they received.

5. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I will never forget "Whipped Cream and other Delights" neither the music or the album cover, featuring a whipped-cream-clad model who was three months pregnant - but you couldn't tell because of the whipped cream. Very cheerful music during a rather chaotic time in our history - 1965.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that the comparison is valid or necessary.
    Herb Alpert was a decent but not virtuoso trumpet player that created a venue that matched his skills. His music made people happy. VEERY brought back a very fond memory with that album cover too!
    I think he is a person with money and no enemies. Alot to be said for that!
    My favorite tune: Spanish Flea.

Chris Botti probably has more technique. We will see if he will stand the test of time. It is too early to tell.

7. tomcat

tomcat Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2007
    Herb Alpert and the Tijuana brass! oh man he has so many hits. Love the SRO album wall street rag, mame and others. Probably the most fun I have played along with as well.

8. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    The comparison to Chris Botti is valid in that they are both popular and have been successul into crossing over into "pop" mainstream music, but in that sense Herb is lightyears ahead of Chris. Herb Alpert and the Tiajuana Brass had any number of top ten hits on the pop charts, his music reached millions if not billions of people. People can 'diss his technical level but he never tried to be the next Mendez and I see nothing wrong in that he sold a lot or records. What a concept... a trumpet player that people actually listen to and he makes money at it as well! As mentioned he was (is) a shrewd and extremely succussful businessman as well being the "A" of A&M Records.

He should be an inspiration for all trumpet players. Technique is over-rated. Connecting with the audience and playing music the audience enjoys is under-rated. I'm all for artistic integrity and all that, but it all comes down playing music for people (as in the audience), does it not? A nice reminder that one may be able to play every Arban's excersize with aplomb but it doesn't mean much if you're doing out alone in the woods with nobody listening but the chipmunks. Some good info. on Herb at this link:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wifwxqw5ldae

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Yeah I would sure go see him, I loved "Tiajuana Taxi" as a kid, "El Solo Toro" and well, all of them really.

Now I want to get all the H.A. stuff I can lol.

My dad even got "Rise" when that came out.

H.A. been derided for being commercial, but he was apparently experimenting with recording early on, and sold his first records out of the back of his car or something, I say he earned it.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I was all set to learn drums when I heard the TJB on the car radio and thought "wow-that's want I want to play!" I used to be able to bug my trumpet professor by playing the Haydn ala Herb.

I guess it was kinda wicked....