Who's Herb Alpert?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 18, 2008.

1. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    My thoughts exactly.

Who else built the Revell model kit "Tijuana Taxi"

2. Cotton

Cotton New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    NW Ohio
    I had that Revell model. TJB were in their hayday in my high school days in the 60's. I was in the local TJB cover band back then when everyone else was playing Beatles and Stone's covers. They played clubs and made money, and got chicks.
    We played senior centers and such and were considered nice young men. The life of a trumpet player in a era of rock and roll!

3. Cotton

Cotton New Friend

Feb 14, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Doug, I just noticed where you are from. I was just in your town for my son's graduation from Lackland. Neat place. I want to come back and spend more time ar the River walk.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi,

Mr. Alpert has paid his dues! According to: Herb Alpert

Herb Alpert

[​IMG]AKA Herbert Alpert
    Born: 31-Mar-1935
    Birthplace: Los Angeles, CA

Religion: Jewish
    Race or Ethnicity: White
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: Tijuana Brass and the "A" in A&M Records
    Military service: US Army
    Herb Alpert was a trumpeter during his tenure in the army, but originally pursued acting as a career. Apparently, he can be seen playing drums for Moses in the film The Ten Commandments. In 1962 he founded A&M records with Jerry Moss. Concurrent with starting the label, Alpert began releasing records as bandleader of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, the first of which was The Lonely Bull. This and subsequent records were immensely popular, making Alpert's band the highest-selling instrumental act in history. The 1965 release Whipped Cream and Other Delights, bearing the photograph of a sexy Hispanic woman wearing nothing but a giant mound of dairy product, has also gained its place in history as the most-parodied album cover -- other versions replacing the cream with spaghetti and the sexy model with dumpy men or elderly women. A&M was sold to Polygram in 1989, and the founders stayed with the label until 1993. In 1999, A&M was eaten by Universal Music. Alpert has continued in his other pursuits as a painter, theater producer, and operates the Herb Alpert Foundation, a proponent of arts in education.
    Father: Louis Alpert
    Mother: Tillie Goldberg
    Wife: Sharon Mae Lubin (m. 1956, div., two children)
    Wife: Lani Hall (Brasil '66 singer, m. 1973, one daughter)

High School: Fairfax High School, Los Angeles, CA
    University: University of Southern California (briefly)

A&M Records Cofounder (1962)
    Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
    Grammy Record of the Year, A Taste of Honey 1966
    Grammy Best Instrumental Performance 1966
    Grammy Best Instrumental Arrangement 1966
    Grammy Best Engineered Recording 1967
    Grammy Best Instrumental Performance, What Now My Love 1967
    Grammy Best Instrumental Arrangement 1967
    Grammy Best Pop Instrumental Performance, Rise 1980
    Grammy Lifetime Achievement, with Jerry Moss 1997
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Jerry Moss 2006
    Russian Ancestry Paternal
    Jewish Ancestry Paternal
    Hungarian Ancestry Maternal

Official Website:
    http://www.herbalpert.com/
    Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Tell your son we are all proud of him. The kids coming out of Lackland are wonderful to be around! We have had a few over at Thanksgivings. A treat for us.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I don't think we can say Herb was not a technical player. Fancy technique was not part of his sound. You have to have your own sound to make it big in the recording industry. (Or be a good looking female trumpet player.)

I will prefer to think Herb could play anything Mendez could until proven otherwise.

7. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I recently bought "Whipped Cream and other Delights" along with a couple of Al Hirt and Doc albums (yes the old vinyl stuff). I had to buy the vinyl since I haven't yet upgraded to the new 8-track technology.
    It's fun to listen to Herb's stuff. I think the album my parents had, had a version of Hello Dolly on it that My brothers and I enjoyed quite a bit.

The Al Hirt stuff amazes me at how cheezy the tunes were, yet Al's playing was awesome.

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I have to add more. My father bought all the albums. My brother learned basic drum set playing listening to Herb. My father bought a set of music so I could play along. Our pep band in high school played a few of the tunes at basketball games and the team liked them for warm up. Mom's and Dad's like Herb.

It was and still is good sounding music. We heard a rumor that herb used a French horn mouth piece but our band director was stuck on the 7C. Our cornet section would have sounded great with 5C and 3C mouth pieces. Most of us were stuffed with the 7C.

Herb is a great benefactor to the International Trumpet Guild.

9. seansdadj

seansdadj New Friend

Jan 18, 2008
    Herb Alpert...heard of the name before!

10. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

But but but but ...... I thought God Himself plays a Bach 7C!