Who's Herb Alpert?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    They played some really great ORIGINAL stuff that was in a catagory all its own.Sort of a pop Mex. combination.There music is definately imprinted in my mind.Just seeing the names of some of the tunes they played brings back and instant memory of the melodys.No they weren't virtusos,neither were the BEATLES!!

2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

I was gonna say, they were the BEATLES of the brass set, very very few bands outsold them. I'm not even sure if the Beatles did.

3. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Herb Alpert is the reason I'm playing the trumpet today. Oh sure I found Maynard and all the other greats I've always idolized later on, but it was Herb Alpert on TV when I was in the third or fourth grade that made me say to my parents "I want to play that". I still have a bunch of the albums.
    Bob

4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006

Allen Vizzutti plays a custom mouth piece similar to an old Schilke 14A4a.

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    You know, I think Chris Botti had somewhat of the same effect on me as Alpert did on some before. His CD, "When I Fall in Love," was my first real trumpet CD, and I loved it.

6. someguy6

someguy6 New Friend

Sep 8, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've got to agree with a previous poster, Herb Alpert and the TJB are the Beatles of brass.

It's great to hear that he's a good guy. I sometimes think that it's true that, "Nice Guys Finish Last". It's nice to see that sometimes this isn't true.

I can't think of anything more fun that being in a TJB tribute band. Has anyone done this (or are doing this now)?

-rob

7. dizzyizzy

dizzyizzy Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2006
    VA
    Other fun thing I remembered...(gee, was it THAT long ago?)

Back in college days (70's), his music was published in a book format; most of the "best" stuff from all his albums (up til then...which was ALL the old big ones). I bought a copy somewhere and used it to practice/play from, just to switch off on other stuff and break up practice...loved it; and at least college friends who heard me could "recognize" what I was playing. It was way before "play along" technology...but you could "try" to synch up with the appropriate album. Someone at college eventually swiped the book.

Decades pass...and I pick back up my horn...and one day remembered that book and went looking for that TJB music book.

EBay to the rescue....$40 of course, but its STILL fun to play that stuff.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Sigh....I guess I'm NOT 25 any more......?-)

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Mom always said I was born in the wrong generation! I have several different cassettes and a CD of the Tijuana Brass (I'm only 23). On top of that I have about 10 Harry James vinyls and 2 Doc Vinyls, and 3 Al Hirt vinyls. When I first started playing, I wasn't all that inspired. I kinda liked the trumpet, but didn't know about anyone to listen to for inspiration. Dad got me the cd for Xmas, and the rest, as they say, is history.

10. selmer53

selmer53 New Friend

Dec 16, 2007
    New York, NY
    "Rise" is one of my favorite pieces of music. Great fun indeed!