Who's Herb Alpert?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 18, 2008.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ahhhhh - Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass - the elements that brought me to trumpet in 1962 - and strangely enough, had lots to do with me coming back many years later. Memories are made of this. I'm nowhere near as good as I could have been because then I had no drive to practice - I guess that's one lesson I've learnt as I age. (I might age - but I refuse to get old).

2. selmer53

selmer53 New Friend

Dec 16, 2007
    New York, NY
    What model horns did (does) Herb use?

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    He's famous for using Benge trumpets. If my memory serves me correctly he played a Chicago Benge and in later years a Kanstul Chicago.

Regards,

Trevor

4. Trumpet Trooper

Trumpet Trooper New Friend

Dec 16, 2007
    Texas
    I am so releived to hear someone say that. Rowuk blasted me on this very subject just a couple of days ago. I like being a crowd pleaser too.

Just my two cents........I've got a Herb Alpert and TJ Brass solo book and love to listen to them. Good stuff.....Love that Taste of Honey.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Herb Alpert and the TJB....

Oh man.....

Lonely Bull, A taste of Honey, Spanish Flea, Tijuana Taxi, Zorba the Greek man I could go on and on..

Herb was among my many early influences along with Chuck Mangione and Louis Armstrong etc...

He does indeed give great sums of money to Music education.

He did a great job of finding his niche.. After all when he was getting big you had Mendez and some guy named Maynard that were tearing it up also and were extrodinary trumpet players!

That's pretty tough competition to distinguish youself from!

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    So why do I take offense at this comment? I grew up listening to this music! I guess that makes me one of the fathers on this page!!!:-o

I miss them and all of the other bands that had horns, but he had a distinctive sound that was lots of fun. He didn't take his music too seriously and people loved it.

7. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Don't take offense Bandman. I am also one who grew up listening and playing Herb Alpert stuff in fifth and sixth grade and later grew up(sorta) to be a band director. We're just old!

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I seem to remember something about Herb playing a 30 year old "Spanish" trumpet that looked an awful lot like a Benge. :cool:

9. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    Herb Alpert is the #1 reason why I play the trumpet. I was about 4 when Tijuana Taxi hit the airwaves and I haven't been able to get that song out of my head ever since. There was a thread on Trumpet Herald last year where many others shared similar experiences. In the trumpet world there seems to be two or three names everyone recognizes whether they play trumpet or not: Doc Severinsen, Herb Alpert and Al Hirt. Not necessarily in that order. Ask anyone on the street over the age of 40 to name two trumpet players and I'm sure Herb Alpert will always be one of those two.

10. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico