Who's Herb Alpert?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 18, 2008.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    ME TOO! WE LOVED IT, What fun!
    I still remember the thrill of playing an instrument people heard on the radio every day and they would say "Play lonely bull"! Too cool!

2. brassmojo

brassmojo Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2007
    That lady in the "Whipped Cream" album was Alpert's wife. Lucky guy.

3C

3. Brassmonkey

Brassmonkey Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2007
    Florida
    Someone told me many years ago that Don Jacoby was actually the one who recorded Zorba The Greek. It made sense to me. I was always skeptical as to Herb's ability to actually play that. I gotta admit though, he was my first hero!

Does anyone know if there is any truth to this little tid-bit?

4. brassmojo

brassmojo Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2007
    I think it may have Bobby Findley. Findley did all the concert and Album work. Jacoby may have sat in on the recording as well.

3C

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Tonni Kalish (sp?) was the second trumpet player in the band,and when I saw them live (1967) there were several tunes where obviously he was playing lead, not Herb. I don't know what happened in the studio, but Herb had a pretty recognizable sound, one of the things in his favor. And he was pretty in tune.

6. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008
    Hi there everyone! Not to change the subject too much but I came across this website and subsequent thread while searching for Herb Alpert sheet music. I have been a woodwind player all my life but finally could no longer deny my secret desire to be a trumpet player and started taking lessons a few months ago. I idolized Herb Alpert as a teenager and my adoration of him continues to this day. Can anyone tell me where I might find Herb Alpert / TJB sheet music for trumpet?? Strangely enough, all I've been able to find is music for piano/organ or full scores for concert band. How could this be? Wouldn't you think there'd be an abundance of sheet music for the very instrument he is famous for? Am I missing something? Someone please steer me in the right direction! I'm dying to play some Spanish Flea and Whipped Cream!

Thanks!

7. trumpetplayer1989

trumpetplayer1989 New Friend

Feb 24, 2008
    Coopersburg, PA

You aren't that old. I know who Herb Alpert is and I'm a freshman music major in college. He's one of my favorite trumpet players. I can't believe some people don't know who he is though. :huh:

8. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Herb Alpert's Second Wind CD has a take of "My Funny Valentine" that is so fresh and soulful. He never says more than is required in his soloing. He plays the rests, and lays down a great groove in the studio with his rhythm section. Control in delivery like nobody else. Few trumpet players have come up with hits like "Rise" since. Nothing beats a melody as strong as the rhythm behind it.--HH

9. claymor

claymor New Friend

May 17, 2008
    Look at the responses to this thread! Herb Alpert really brought the trumpet to the masses in a way that few have ever done. Louise Armstrong type mass appeal. His music is often dismissed by "purists", but then again, those types usually dismiss any musician that gains large popularity. The thought being that your only great if only the purist know about you. Alpert's music was fun and easy to listen to. He had great tone and a festive, yet laid back playing style that matched his south-of-the-border sounds. I still listen to his stuff. My 12 yr old son was having a hard time staying motivated to practice untill he heard my CD of Herb Alpert playing "Zorba the Greek". He really got into it and now practices all the time. Always trying to play those fast parts. Why not? It's FUN!

10. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Ok, Solar Bell stirs it up again...

I would rather listen to Herb Alpert and the TJB than listen to ANYTHING Miles Davis ever played!

-cw-