Who's Herb Alpert?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Smithi20, Jan 18, 2008.

1. greenpeppers

greenpeppers New Friend

Mar 31, 2008
    One of things I love about Herb Alpert's music is that it is so easy to play. Most of the songs, at least from the TJB era, don't reach too far into the upper ranges and the melodies are simple enough so that even a beginning trumpet player like me can play them. Talk about instant gratification!
    Some people may dismiss his music as kitsch but they just don't get it. These so-called purists can have their music. I'm keeping my Herb Alpert.

2. Claude Gnocchi

Claude Gnocchi Mezzo Forte User

Aug 16, 2006
    National Harbor Maryland
    Huh...? That's like asking "who is Hugh Hefner!"

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I couldn't possibly fail to disagree with you less.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hell's Bells Veery, double-double negatives - now that is intense.

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Kept me working while in high school doing church dances and private parties back in the 60`s.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  6. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Guilty as charged - I compared Chris Botti to Herb Alpert in a previous post.....and yes I have their albums/CDs - and listen to both. Grew up listening to Herb Alpert and the TJB - and their spinoff - the Baja Marimba Band (how many of you can remember them???)

True confession - I went to see the Baja Marimba Band at the Allentown Fair one summer - they were followed by some lady singer - somebody and the Supremes????? Yes - I was so "out of it" that I didn't know who Diana Ross was at the time.....duh....so back to my TJB and Al Hirt albums......

Agree with the posts on Herb Alpert's positive impact on the music scene and likewise Chris Botti's. Beats a lot of stuff I hear on the radio these days!