Who's out their and what do you got ?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Larry Gianni, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi All,

I'm going to steal a very good topic form my friend Marc at the Schilke forum and ask this question.

Calicchio guys ( gals ) , let me know what you got and what piece your mainly use on you CT ( Calicchio Trumpet )

Let's hear about your gear and what type of playing you do most also.
    Lets face it, no trumpet player can resist talking about their " metal "

Lets go - Warts and all

OK, the next chorus is yours.

LG

2. Vessehune

Vessehune Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Sunnyside, WA
    I own a Calicchio Ultra 1s7 Large Bore. I usually use a GR 67LX or a GR 66Z**. YEAH!!!

3. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Brian,

What type of playing do you usually do with that set-up

larry

4. Vessehune

Vessehune Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2003
    Sunnyside, WA
    Well I'm an undergrad at Washington State so I play legit stuff: Trumpet Ensemble, Symphonic Band, and Solos, etc... (I use the 67LX for this stuff) And I also play in a couple of jazz groups. I play lead in the 2nd Jazz Band, and a small Latin Combo (I use the 66Z** for these groups). Its a great all around horn that fits well in both worlds. :)

5. Rob Jokinen

Rob Jokinen New Friend

Nov 16, 2003
    Beaverton, OR
    Well, I'm the new very, very proud owner of a 1sZ/3RL, just got it Monday.

Its too bad that I couldn't get home after work Monday to pick up the horn for rehearsal that night.

I play in a big band in Portland, OR. Currently playing 2nd. I would normally say the jazz chair, but let's just say I'm working on it...
    We play about one gig/month, and rehearse once a week.

I've been playing the new horn all week, and I just can't put it down. Very addictive. Wow, what a great horn. One thing that really surprises me is that people think that the Calicchios are all bright paint peelers. Well, this horn is one very versatile horn from my perspective. Its lightweight, responsive, and has a real warm tone in the low register, and a great tone up higher. I really wouldn't characterize the overall tone as 'commercial' though. I could easily hear this horn as an all-rounder!! I'm using a Reeves 43M.

We are playing a dance on Sunday, can't wait to take it for a ride!!
    (yeah, gotta tape the SuperBowl)..

Cheers-
    Rob

6. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    I play a Tulsa Calicchio 1sZ/3RL trumpet and a Hollywood Calicchio brass flugel. I think this may have been mentioned before but of all the mouthpieces I've tried, I still always come home to a Bob Reeves piece - 40M/40ES on trumpet and 40F on flugel. I play mostly Tower of Power/Blood, Sweat, and Tears type-stuff and this pairing of horn and mouthpiece is just about perfect. These pieces compliment both the trumpet and flugel playing characteristics so well you may be tempted to believe they were specifically designed with Calicchio horns in mind!! If memory serves me correctly, I think Larry did mention that Dominic Calicchio and Bob Reeves knew each other quite well. Maybe they did collaborate to some extent -- that would explain the special magic between Calicchio horns and Bob Reeves mouthpieces!!!

Oh, and Rob, you're gonna' love this horn to death.

---<Rick

7. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Calicchio Forum...what do you have?

Here's what I play:
    1sZ/3RL (468)-- Tulsa Horn
    1s/2 (ML) goldplated-- Tulsa Horn
    R37
    Superior (circa 1947)
    Hollywood Brass Flugel

Calicchio Trumpets are Great!

8. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    I always thought I had a 1s-2 with a number three bell.

Wonder what model I have? Lacquer, ml, number 7 lead pipe and a #3 bell. #2654. (I had the #3 bell put on a few weeks later. For less projection.)

Bought from Mr. Calicchio and as he was walking me down the steps he said, "Buy two, I have a pacemaker, buy two." Good advice I couldn't afford.

I never knew about the lead pipe differences until you guys mentioned it. I have just played it since the year Elvis died and "Starwars" hit the big screen.

Did everything with a Schilke 14 and 14a4a until a few years ago. Now a Bob Reeves M.

Gary Grant played my horn out at Bob Reeves and liked it's core sound.

9. gphorn

gphorn New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    I play a brushed gold plated Calicchio R32. Currently the mouthpiece "du jour" I am using is either a Curry 1TF or a Monette B1-5FL. When I want to brighten my sound up a little I will play a Curry 1 1/2B, a Monette B1-5M, or a Schilke 20 (whichever seems to be agreeing with my chops that day). But I think that the deeper flugelhorn style cups seem to bring out the richness of the R32's tone better; they also provide a better foundation to the sound.

Most of my playing is done in a community symphonic band where I have little trouble blending with a section made up mostly of Strads and Benges.
    I have also played some semi-pro jobs in pit orchestras for community theatre groups. I'd really love to play in a big band setting, so if anybody in the Pittsburgh area who reads this is in need of a section player send me an email at [email protected].

Go to this link that Larry Gianni provided to see a photo that I sent him of my horn :

http://calicchio.triadbusinessgroup.com/admin/instruments/images/GaryPavel6448.bmp

Gary Pavel

10. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Mark,

You bought your trumpet in 1977 , from the registration book , Dominic died sonn after that in 1979. You lived in Bakersfeild, CA. at the time.has an 805 phone number in the records. The original bell was a 1s . You have the same set-up now as Lee Thornberg does ( Tonight Show Band ).
    7 leadpipe - #3 bell. He also plays a Reeves mouthpiece.

Larry