Who's the boss?

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by wiseone2, Feb 14, 2005.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Herseth-Reiner, Solti
    Vacchiano-Walter, Mitropolous, Bernstein,Boulez
    Caston and Krauss-Stokowski and Ormandy

I want to put the role of the Principal Trumpet in perspective.

Those conductors were very powerful leaders. They had the power of life or death for musicians under them. Some like Mitropolous were mild. Others like Stokie, Reiner and Ormandy would fire, at the drop of the hat or note, any musician in their orchestra.

Somehow, over the years, the legend of power in the hands of players has grown.
    The conductor is the guy who runs the show.Loud, soft. Short or long. The maestro is in charge of all things musical.

Principal trumpet is the primary high voice in the brass section. Along WITH the conductor, things pertaining to the brass section are worked out with the vision of the leader being paramount.

The conductor is the boss.

Wilmer

2. Rimshot

Rimshot Pianissimo User

Feb 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Excellent point, Mr. Wise. But oh please, include Martinon (sp?) under Herseth--some marvelous recordings from that period, too. (And, deepest thanks for NOT including Barenbones :-) ).

BTW, I think what was done in Chicago in the mid-sixties to Martinon leads me to conclude the only class of people in the history of the world who might actually deserve incarceration and summary execution without trial would be so-called music critics.