Who's your most important teacher?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by amtrpt, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Bloomer718

Bloomer718 New Friend

Feb 23, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    I remember during one of my first lessons with Vince Penzarella that he said "You are going to pay me all of this money and I can't teach you shit"
    Getting to know Vince over the years I grew to really understand what he meant. He considers himself a provider of information and hopes to impart an approach and concepts that allow his students to teach themselves. He always said "You are your own best teacher". Sometimes when we are blessed to spend time with great teachers like Vince it is hard to imagine that we hold more control over our progress then they ever could. In the end we must all guide ourselves.

administrator likes this.
  2. Jazzytptchick09

Jazzytptchick09 New Friend

Feb 21, 2008
    Waycross, Ga.
    I agree 100%

3. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    great post and quote bloomer :D

4. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    what call is that, and who are the people? I like how he mentioned how people tend to play it wrong because they think it sounds better, where everyone else likes it the right way. How many times do people do that, play they way they like it, not the way everyone else does.

5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    No offense. But if you don't know what call that is and you are a trumpet major (performance, education, whatever) you need to do a little more listening and get a clue. To view more information about the video you can double click on it and it will bring you to youtube.

6. nplotts1

nplotts1 Fortissimo User

Aug 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I never really started listening to classical music until just recently. I borrowed 12 cds from my professor just this Thursday. I have always had my mind on Jazz, but have recently discovered how much I enjoy classical music as well,

7. amtrpt

amtrpt Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2008
    toronto
    Hi,
    Thanks for the positive feed back. Sometimes when I'm teaching and in the middle of what I think is a wonderful and meaningful story I look over at the student and they are quite clearly on the beach in Mexico having a nice cold drink in their minds. So thank you for the reassurance about my story telling.
    Tatakata--I think that I get better at teaching myself the older I get. One of my favorite saying lately is that if you aren't getting better you're getting worse. Staying at the same level is not a good option for us because while we may be staying level, someone else is getting better and they're passing us. That can be in auditioning, teaching, gigging etc. So I hope that I will continue to get better at learning for the rest of my career and beyond.
    Thanks again!
    Andrew

8. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    This is a good thread. I've always thought my job as a teacher of young people is giving them the right thing to work on at the right time. Just enough to push them out of their comfort zone but not so much that they get frustrated. As teachers I think we can be effective by showing students how to go about playing and guiding them down the right path but, ultimately, they have to do the work to put it all together.

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    This has always been my guiding principle as a teacher (probably comes from the fact that I never had teachers). "Give a man a fish and ......"

bigtiny

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Watching that clip is just like being in a lesson with Schlueter.
    I recently started teaching again. I only have one student.
    We were in a lesson and I taught him something and he asked me "why"?

I told him that my teacher told me to do it that way and his teacher told him to do it that way and when you think about it, it really makes musical sense.

He asked me who is my teacher and I told him Charlie Schlueter and his teacher was William Vacchiano. I explained who each of them are and I all of the sudden got a chill or weird feeling thinking about it.
    The teaching went through four generations.

I can't go to lessons like I want to so I record myself all the time and listen. I am constantly thinking what Charlie would say listening to me playing and then I record it again and try to change things.