Wht is the difference between these two books?????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AndrewWK, Oct 6, 2004.

1. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    What is the difference beween...
    Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing
    Systematic Approach to Daily Practice for Trumpet

The titles help but what are the differences between them and how do i know which one to use? I am good all around. I have made region for 4 years in North Texas and am first in my district. I have a very usuable e-flat and a squirrelish f and a bad double g on very good days. I am first chair in my top band since I was a sophomore and can play most of the songs on the Carnavil cd (I LOVE "Grand Russian Fantasia"). I am looking for a book to help my chops, endurance, breathing, and range. I play on a 8335 Xeno with gold brass and play Shew 1.5 for marching/jazz and a 66MX for legit.

I was thinking on trying a chop book like BE or Claude Gordon. I am not sure if BE can be bought in a music store because buying stuff online does not sit well with my parents. I know the basics of each method and have ruled out Callet. I was looking for a book that does not require a specific teacher for the method. Just a trumpet book based on science and exerciese that build up the specific muscles.

Thanks for the help,
    AndrewWk

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Just outta curiosity, where in North Texas are you?

As for a book without a teacher, lemme be the first to say that this is a bad idea. I'm not saying that you're not good enough, so don't think that. What I'm saying is that sometimes books are confusing, or you don't interpret them properly (my last math score is proof enough). Having a teacher allows you to have someone actually SHOW you how to play. In North Texas, there are LOTS of people that are qualified for this. They can show you the basics of the embrochure, and then diagnose any difficulties you might have by listening to you. It's just the better way to go.

3. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    I live in Keller Texas which is in the FT. Worth district. Right now I am taking from Bert Truax in Dallas. I take lessons from him every 2-4 weeks. Right now he has so many gigs i have to wait till middle NOV. My parents don't really want to pay for two lesson teachers until maybe in college if I decide to major in music. I just want a book that explains how breathing, chops, and range building work and exercises that help with that. i just want sometihing I can work through by myself.

Also, i wnet to Mr. E's today and saw ONE of Claude Gordan's books(don't remember the name but not the ones I am looking for). I was very impressed with his book. They had day by bay exerciese and while flipping trough the book you could see how they develope off of one anouther. They had an explaination forthe exersise and what they accomplish as well as talking your way through. IMHO the Arban's book is not that great because while it does have manymany exerciese it is very overwhelming and confusing and will need a teacher to work through. From my observations Gordan's books are not like that, they are much like the Cat Andreson range book(the problem with this one is that it does not go through and explain the purpose and the day allotment is very incorrect. You would need a sturdy range to work out of it. Goes up to triple A :shock: . And that is half way through the book). The one problem is that I need to find out the difference between the two books so I know which one would better suit me.

THanks for the reply,
    AndrewWk

4. Enrico

Enrico New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    Italy
    Physical Approach is for beginers.
    You should use Systematic Approach. Listen to the pedal tone demo on this site www.bolvinmusic.com if you need help with the pedal tones.