Why am I buzzing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bstratt, May 12, 2010.

1. bstratt

bstratt New Friend

Dec 12, 2008
    Lewiston Idaho
    Sometimes when I play, especially high notes above the staff I get two notes at a time. Like a buzzing sound. Maybe i have picked up bad habbits with my embouchere, I dont know. I cant figure it out. Can someone help me out here.

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Without hearing exactly what is happening, it's hard to diagnose. Have you a teacher in your area to whom you could go? An advanced brass player friend to help you with it?:dontknow:

My first guess is that your embrochure isn't strong enough for the notes you're playing, and you don't have enough breath support. Your lips may be vibrating unevenly, and thus one portion is stimulating one note, while the other portion is stimulating another note.:huh:

If your lips are pinched together, in order to play the high notes, they will interfere with one another, and cause spurious notes. :thumbdown:

If your mouthpiece is too shallow and you are using too much pressure, you could be bottoming out in the cup of the mouthpiece, again causing distortions that could sound like two notes. :thumbdown:

You really need to have someone work with you in person!! :cool:

Good luck!!

Guy Clark

3. bstratt

bstratt New Friend

Dec 12, 2008
    Lewiston Idaho
    Thank you. My nmouthpeice is very shallow and I havent been playing for a while. I didnt used to have this problem when I played often.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    My guess is that your embrochure can't handle what you're trying to do and you are getting a weird noisy "buzz" in your sound or you are not using your air correctly causing a weak strained buzzy sound. Spend the money for an hour or two with a college trumpet teacher. It generally does wonders. I'm old and I still go occasionally to a college professor for a tune up.

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    If you've got a bigger (deeper) mouthpiece, try that, and make sure you can play ok within the staff first. Then work your way up a bit at a time.

Get a teacher, if possible, for the best results.

Guy

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    a secondary buzz is common with weak chops. Practice will help here. Lipslurs and long tone help a lot!