Why am I struggling so much with this solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pie Girl, Dec 1, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Competition can be the ugly duckling that if handled constructively, can evolve into a beautiful swan.

I believe our youth of today has been bamboozled by a T-ball mentality where you just hit a T-ed up ball, no personal delivery of said ball, and then the child just approaches a motionless ball on a sterile plastic peg, takes a swing and runs, there are no winners there are no losers. Well T-ball generation, welcome to the real-time adult world. So let's "Play Ball"!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh Patrick, dear Patrick, we have much, much better agents to achieve relaxation then muscle relaxants. And yes, I can prescribe.... MD license to kill.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously, A psychologist I trained with had GREAT relaxation techniques, drug free, that involves concentration and breathing. It really works, in most cases, better than any agent I can initiate from the tip of my pen.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Pie Girl's post. You kind Patrick are too far out to be from the T-baller generation. We, my friend, have learned our fate from the School of Hard Knocks... BS - Battered Slightly, MS - Moderate Slashings, PhD - Pounded hard and Daily.

5. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    I don't know where you are or your circumstances, but it sounds as if you would greatly benefit from a performance psychologist/therapist; someone who specializes in assisting performing artists, athletes, etc., overcome performance obstacles that seem to have no apparent cause. You might check the internet for some free stuff along this line. Best of luck to you in regaining your position and high quality of play.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In college, I learned from my Sociology professor that some of the psych grad students offered guided "progressive relaxation sessions." I told my trumpeter friends and three of us showed up. As a part of the introductory meeting we were asked why we were there. We totaled four. A woman described her stress, and seemed pretty freaked out, and then, bang, bang bang we trumpeters said that "it sounded like fun," stoned out of our gourds. With practice we got good at it (the relaxation part) and discovered that deep relaxation and trumpet playing aren't a good mix. Relaxed, yeah, loose, yeah, but not totally relaxed.

The goal is a relaxed yet working body.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Not that I entirely disagree with the competition within and among bands, there comes a time in life where the musical competition is within one's own self and I believe I've reached that "stage". I now say to myself, "If that isn't your best, don't record it." In the end, I enjoy my music, and some of my friends I've given CDs of my performances to seem to also, and that makes me happy also.

That said, I was only in 8th grade when I was selected to join the high school band. Thus, I spent 5 years in it. It wasn't a question of competing for chair positions ... it was expected that you played the harmony parts juxtaposed to your academic level and IMO they are more difficult than lead. Still, I and other lower classmates were frequently given solos or lead parts, obvious to the director that we could perform them well. Too, he split the band up into ensembles that alternately provided music for the lower grades' drama and vocal performances. Too, alternately we provided music for the Saturday night student dances we called "Canteens", as did the military then. In retrospect, I enjoyed band in high school, but not so much in college. However, now all by myself in my comeback, I'm enjoying it more.

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Music is competitive. We are being judged on how well we make music. MAKE MUSIC and you will be competitive.

9. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK
    Love the story. You Americans love the competition don't you? Love this:

That's why knowing you are prepared is so important, and it goes along with the old saying, "don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong."

Love to play music with other musicians of all abilities and if you're good enough "cream will always rise to the top."

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I was in little league for the one year I did it, I spent almost all of the season riding the bench. Granted, I wasn't a great player, but I probably played fewer innings than we had games. That was the generation I grew up in. I got better and when I was playing baseball in middle school and high school, I worked myself up to a point where I spent most of the time off of the bench. If you wanted something, no one was going to hand it to you. You worked to improve, and you went out and got it yourself, and if you weren't good enough, you sure as heck didn't get a trophy for it. That year I spent in little league, even though I rode the bench, my team came up runner-up in the championship game. The champs got trophies, the runners-up got a brand new baseball, and everyone else got a "thanks for playing - maybe next year." :)

Yep! That's it in a nutshell - we know we're being judged so we strive to be better. Unfortunately some people never get out of the technical aspect and really start to truly think about things in a musical way, but when that DOES happen? That's when it really gets good, for both the player and the listener.

Glad you liked the story - I don't know if it's an American thing or not, but I know that I personally have always been a competitive person. Maybe it was due to growing up as the only boy among 3 older sisters.