Why am I struggling so much with this solo

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Pie Girl, Dec 1, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This is a good sign. The first phase of recovery

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's those even years that really get you down:bleah:

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You must have missed the part where I talked about the real joy of being a musician was making great music with other like-minded musicians. It's ALWAYS about being a part of a bigger whole - that's the point. I didn't realize we had to explain that explicitly. But aside from that, this thread was about addressing a particular issue, and we've all had to deal with it at one point in time or another.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Branson, I hear where you are coming from, but your approach is, in my opinion, while effective for some students, has no real basis in reality. Your approach to training seems to me to be cheap and tawdry. Sorry.

Reality is getting it right the first time.

That's why we have routines and practice upcoming pieces. If we screw up the piece in practice, we shrug it off, do some introspection and play it again, no ten times or whatever, just get it right, just once, and memorize how it goes.

Having done that, we can reproduce it at will.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi Dr Mark

I think you missed my point it was a slight dig at the Brass Band World in the UK and what is increasingly beccoming its obsession with "The Contest" Many are run almsot like football clubs and although they are supposed to be amateur groups with transfers are happening just so that a band can move up the sections. At the very top there are people who are hugely "compensated" for travelling a few miles. It is competition that has produced this tawdry state of affairs and it is one of the reasons I have little regard for Banding. To give you one example in a band close to me there was a young Tenor Horn player, far too good for the youth band and of a standard that would have graced anything but the top section and he would have got there. It was suggested that the kid, son of another band member, sit in on practices to gain experience and play in the (all too few) concerts not in contest. The suggestion was met with anger and has nearly split the band in two with a number of resignations. One statement went something along the lines of "we are a serious contesting band not a charity gig for young players" there were various variations of this.

Another scenario is talked about on another forum much like this one but which I now never go on where there was a discussion of "contest nerves" which included the discussion of using beta blockers, and one person offering to keep some of his prescription ones for the band on contest day.

It may not have come across burried in my English sarcasm but I was agreeing with you. I think there can be a competetive element to music but this is at its best when it is self imposed with your own goals not external pressure of winnig a chair or a competition. I would far rather please an audience who I have touched than an adjudicator who is dispassionately judging me.

A

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

If you are working to play musically you are working with the best interests of the band and the music. Playing musically means matching articulation, style, and dynamics etc. You are constantly working to make sure that your contribution compliments the band. That is what the "we" is all about. As I said before, take care of the music and everything else falls in to place. Putting yourself before the music is a recipe for failure.

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi xjb.
    You stysted:
    "I was just driving home the point of making music first. Too many are putting too much focus on competition. That is not going to help with the nerves. See my earlier post.
    -----------------
    oops, sorry xjb. I think we're on the same page I and failed to see it.
    Dr.Mark

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Pie Girl - you know what you've managed to do here (and this makes me giggle quite a bit) is you've shown the 'lesser' players in your band what will happen if they slip up, that should put some pressure on them.

I have a similar problem to yours, I can hit the notes in the practice room but not in performance. My problem is different to yours though - I don't practice enough - simple really.

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    VB,
    You ststed:
    "For me, it's never been about being competitive. To compete means one can lose. I just try to play the heck out of the notes before me."
    ---------
    Exactly!!

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    While I sympathise with the sentiment, the phrase "to compete means one can lose" is hardly reason not to compete. Life's about taking chances and, like it or not, the music business is highly competitive.