Why are mouthpieces so freakin expensive????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_In_CA, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Alex_In_CA

Alex_In_CA New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    I turned in my rental horn since I now have my own, and Olds Ambassador (actually 2, short story) and the Bach 7c went back with it, no problem, I'll buy my own right? Well!! They're $50??????? Ouch!!! WTH? They were like $7 when I was in high school, $15 not all that long after..... are MP's this expensive these days? :eek:

Looks like I'll just get a used on one Ebay..... :p

2. Alex_In_CA

Alex_In_CA New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    Thanks, I think I'm going to stick to the Olds 3 I have right now, and see how that goes. Frankly, it seems to be the same except ..... a little bit better.:rolleyes:

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Is $50 really a lot of money for a trumpet mouthpiece? You probably spend close to that gassing up your car. Or paying your monthly cable bill. Or on a nice polo shirt. Or on coffee for a month.

The trumpet is one of the least expensive instruments to play. Try complaining about the cost of your instrument to a violinist, bassoonist, percussionist, cellist, oboist, etc...

-Jimi

4. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Could be a lot worse, those woodsuckers have to spend around $8 for a box of reeds constantly, at least when we find a good one we can stick to it and not have to worry about it splitting, how much we spend on the safari for that mouthpiece though is a different story

5. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Or go get yourself a Monette 215 or a GR 145?

If my prices are off, my apologies.

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Consider how much it used to cost to run the equipment, pay the person running it, cost for delivery and other overhead compared to those costs now. $50 is still really good.

My wife is a clarinettist. She spends about $20 on a box of reeds to get one or 2 that are good...

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can tell you first hand as my new line develops the whole process is VERY time consuming and expensive. The CNC tooling alone is extremely expensive. Extensive play testing, prototypes, and work hours have to be factored in somewhere.

I know that my pieces will not be cheap (they won't be in the Monette category for pricing) so I must make sure that they are built as well as you can possibly make a piece. I will play test each piece to ensure quality control as well.

Best,

T

8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    If you complain about the price of mouthpieces, just wait until you are wanting a piccolo trumpet.

Trent - keep us posted on the new line :)

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    piccolo?

heck I'm anxiously awaiting my flugel and my order for stock horns at the shop!
    ;)