Why are mouthpieces so freakin expensive????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_In_CA, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Alex_In_CA

Alex_In_CA New Friend

Aug 10, 2006
    LOL!!! Woodsuckers!!! OK ok I'll stop complaining....... Yeah you're right about the coffee, I'm a coffee hound. And my car's up to $25 to fill up these days, if I run it really dry. I get my "nice" polo shirts at the thrift store, Willie's rules!

2. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    For a Bach mouthpiece, yes. That's full retail price. If you really want to support the local guy, then pay that -- otherwise, a better deal can be found.

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I'm waiting for Leigh to say that the piccolo is ready for the next stage of playtesting

4. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Mouthpieces are expensive because there are guys out there who know trumpet players(all brass players for that matter) will pay anything for what they think is an end-all solution to their problems. Of course we all know this is not reality.

Of course there are also guys and gals out ther who build quality stuff and their prices are justified. My mouthpiece was more than $100 and to me it was worth every penny.

This is like asking why is a BMW more expensive than a Chevy, when we all know the answer.

DISCLAIMER: There are also very affordable mouthpieces out there that are great. It is all based on the player and what works for them when they pick up the horn.

5. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    There's always Ebay!

I got two of my 3 Monette Mouthpieces there for less then half price.

My Cornet mouthpiece was a special order direct from Monette; but worth every penny.

Believe me there is worse!

6. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania

I concur. I am always hearing complaints of $35 for a box of Vandoren reeds, of which eight out of ten will be destroyed in a week. A whole box, and two good ones.....woodwinds....

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    wow... 7 year old thread... must be a record?

8. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Go try to cover the payment on a CNC Lathe, 3D CAD Software, raw brass metal stock, and a silver plating shop. What do you have to sell them for to cover your monthly nut... Including shop rental, taxes, insurance, labor, etc...?

My wife's jaw dropped when she learned how much I gave Wayne Bergeron for one of his GR mpc's.

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Wives' jaws are not officially recognized here as indicators of price points..... Sorry.... :-)

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tell her the ENT's price for fixing her jaw drop is $3,500... Putting it now into perspective, your Wayne Bergeron mpc isn't such a bad deal after all.