Why are mouthpieces so freakin expensive????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_In_CA, Aug 10, 2006.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    As God had intended. And the Lord is fair. He's judgement reigns supreme. A Love Supreme!

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If He were a merciful God, why would't He destroy 10 out of 10 in a week?

3. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Brass instruments are made for poor people (in an orchestra, trumpet players come from labor families and you only need three fingers, when violin players are lords and have never worked in a factory, woodwind players are between the two worlds), a trumpet mouthpiece is very cheap, your lips are your reeds.
    Try the saxophone and you will find a very big difference : mouthpiece (more than 100€, mines cost more than 200€) + ligature (50 € and more) + reeds...
    Please, don't complain...
    A trumpet is a very cheap instrument !

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Now that $50 is the standard for Bach mps online, I will reiterate my thoughts on eBay mouthpieces: some of the best deals you could ever hope for...
    say:
    Benge 4SC [with Conn and UMI versions available]
    Benge 5½SC [with Conn and UMI versions available]
    Benge 7-BR [and its Conn, Besson, Earlham siblings, plus its King cousin, all from Lausmann]
    Conn 5½SC [with Benge and UMI versions available]
    Conn 3 (Bach no-letter)
    DEG Dynasty 3C
    Bach 2CFL
    plus some others I can't remember right now...but all have served me well.
    - AND THAT'S JUST MOUTHPIECES!
    Try for a
    Yamaha YTR-6310Z mark II - 3rd slide key - awesome horn
    King 1117SP - well, it's easy to play loud
    Yamaha YCR-731 - a combined blessing and curse
    Getzen 90 - early, 4-digit serial
    Conn 24A fluegel - decent horn
    Conn 15A spare - extreme beater, but not bad for $25

to start! I'm downsizing/replacing a few of these that I don't use often...and others on this forum can boast of many more horns than these...!

Sorry, I find it easy to "toot my horn" when it comes to eBay purchases/gifts from the aforementioned...

5. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    Folderol. Stuff and nonsense...
    My strong populist instincts could not let this elitist swipe pass without comment. Far from being lumpen proletarians, trumpet players are the aristocrats of the musical world. Using 3 fingers hardly constitutes manual labor. Using your own mouth as a reed betokens a degree of skill and dedication unmatched by mere reed players whose childlike eagerness requires but a child's attention to master.

6. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    So what does it mean if I can't play a reed instrument due to my accustomed-to-brass embouchure? What if I want to pull an Eddie Harris with a sax mouthpiece on flugel? [okay, maybe not, but the idea is there]

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I have no idea. I just made that stuff up.

8. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    Where do drums (specifically the drumSET) and/or guitar rank on the scale? I play both of those in addition to trumpet. The trumpet is indeed one of the cheapest instruments to obtain, however, I'd say drums are far more expensive than violins and such. I paid more for my drum set than I did for any trumpet I've ever owned and it's a constant investment in new heads to replace broken ones, new sticks to replace broken ones, new cymbals to replace cracked/broken ones etc. Not to mention the medicine that one applies to the blisters one gets from playing the drums. By comparison, my guitar and amp put together are the cheapest things of my instruments.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Go to Arnold & Sons and get one of their excellent Vincent Bach clones - at less than $ 15 each.

10. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    If you goal is playing only for your grandmother, a violin is quite cheap but if you're a professional it's not.