Why Aren't Sonare Trumpets More Poular?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trickg, Dec 24, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I've been doing some looking recently at trumpets that are geared a bit more toward legit/classical playing, mostly because my gigging has shifted a bit, which has taken me into territory that isn't necessarily ideal for my Jupiter Roger Ingram 1600i. It's a wonderful trumpet for most of the gigging I Dow, but it's not as versatile as d hoped it would be.

This brings me to Sonare trumpets. Everything I have seen about them seems very positive:

Valve alignment
    Blackburn Leadpipe
    cryogenically treated
    plays and sounds a lot like a good Bach Strad ML/37.

Whats not to like, right? So why aren't they more popular?

2. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    The ones I have tried can not be compared to the 37's I have played. For me, the Sonare sounds a bit nasal and feels very tight. I know Lew Soloff had a custom tuning slide on his Sonare to make it more open – that would probably do something in the positive direction for me. But since you're happy with the Ingram maybe the tighter feel of the Sonare will be a very good match :-)

3. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Because it's not a Bach or Yamaha so band directors in highschool don't push them and the name never gets out. I read about lots of brands that sound great in writing. What does a Blackburn leadpipe have that others don't? (Not starting a leadpipe war I'm just curious) and isn't cryogenic when they super freeze the horn? And is the jury in or out on that one?
    They do seem like some fine horns though! Hey trickg are you getting N+1?

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I don't think I'm getting a case of GAS, I'm just trying to find a horn that is very versatile. For years I only really gigged one thing - rock band - with the occasional legit gig, so I made do with the one trumpet I had, my Schilke B6. These days I'm doing a lot more section work so something a little less bright could be a good thing.

Regarding the Leadpipe thing, I have yet to hear of an instance where a horn wasn't improved by the installation of a Blackburn designed pipe, and regarding cryogenic treatment, the jury may still be out, but anecdotally it seems to be an improvement as well.

5. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I actually really liked the Sonare 700s I played at NAMM a few years ago. It was much more resonant than the 800 or 900, and seemed like it would be a really good choice in a variety of styles.

6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    With the endorsements of the late Lew Soloff and the amazing Amanda Pepping, Sonaré trumpets should have sold like crazy. My granddaughter has a TRC-800, and its tonal quality is simply beautiful. I tried it out before giving it to her, and if I could justify having yet another trumpet around here, I'd have bought another one. Regrettably, it appears their production run might have survived the move from Germany, but not the demise of Blessing. I'm pretty sure the last of the Sonaré trumpets has been built.

7. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
  8. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    Personally I find the 1600i very middle of the road and versatile. It does have a different palate of overtones than a 37 Bach but I've done a handful of section and legit gigs. It's also possibly my sound - I have a dark natural sound and so brighter gear always helps me sound like the trumpet doesn't have a pillow covering it! Last week I did a fanfare for some folks over from the Vatican who were commemorating a local church being open for 150 years. They brought it a big door. Anyway my sound blended great with the other trumpeter, but if I was on the lower part I'd swap to something slightly deeper. Which brings me to point 2 - this horn is quite backbore and depth sensitive so I know you are Warb gear, it would be cheaper to try some more stuff out.

Regarding the Sonaré horns : Bach and Yamaha dominates, It's just how it's been established but there's lots of great horns for the work you describe. I played the 802-rL in Josh Landress' shop and nearly bought it. It's like a great 37. A little easier to play and tune. Nicer overtones. I left it because it sounded a little too polite or something, I don't want to say beige but beige. I would love to own one because I reckon it would record and do legit section work so well.

p Mauriat are making some excellent horns as well. Worth the look. B&S also!!

of course a Yamaha or Bach can be you there too. The second hand market for those is better.

good luck!!
    mike

9. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I have auditioned two from the Sonare line. Good horns, but don't play any better than a good Bach and the two I tried were rather tight. Nice sound though.
    Patrick, if you want versatile, try the Schilke HD series. Outstanding Schilke ease of play and intonation with a more opaque "Bachish" character.
    These models are becoming more popular with the orchestral players. They don't just buy anything unless it gives them what they need.
    You could also call Charlie Melk. His horns are just fabulous. Fred Powell is another word of mouth maker who is an exceptional player and builder.
    Rich T.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1 on Fred Powell. Underrated maker imo.