Why Calicchio?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Jan 23, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, here is the million dollar question;

Currently, I am looking for a new classical horn. Unfortunately, I haven't really had a lot of access to anything but Yamaha, Bach, and Getzen throughout most of my life, so right now I am having to catch up with the curve. Currently, I am looking at a Schilke. But, because I want to check every possible option, I'm going to go into every forum on here with this question (modified, of course). I would like someone to give me every pro and every con of a Calicchio. If it helps any, I'm looking for a full warm tone, but is capable of being pushed at the upper dynamics (I think that's what I meant to say ). So just help me however you can.

2. kafo

kafo New Friend

Jan 24, 2004
    Hi I have had a Calicchio for about 20 years now. When I got it I was a Marine Corps bandsman which means whenever I played it was balls to the wall for 12 years. I have the Freddie Hubbard model with spit valves. It can take as much as you put into it while not letting the sound go to peices, it makes no difference how hard you blow. Freddies horn gives a dark full sound if you can fill the horn. It is a large bore so you must come to the table with some kahunas !!! In a lead situation I think that it does not match if everyone else is bright sounding there is a big difference being your sound will be full and dark if you push it and full and dark if you don't push. The mouthpeice makes a difference also, I use Bobby Shew jazz model and I am pleased with back pressure and sound . I have recorded a solo on Conrad Johnson's album the song is Route 66 check it out, The headphones were loud so I played loud but I think you will like it. I have tried the lead models and have nothing but the highest praise for them. If you can push a horn past its limits then a callichio is for you because the sound is well cotained no matter how hard you blow, you will get a really good sound.