Why can't I just make up my mind?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by bigaggietrumpet, Nov 9, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Ok, so some of you may know that I've wanted...no, strike that, LUSTED, after a Kanstul ZKT 1500 for quite some time now. Well, I was going over some of my notes from ITG (yes, I actually sat down and took notes on some of the horns I played), and realized one thing. A lot of the horns I played didn't really get a fair trial, and the 1500 is probably included on that list. Among others, some of the horns I want to try out before making a final decision (and this is for a concert style horn here) are a WT, a Selmer Paris Concept TT, a Calicchio R32 and R37, the ZKT 1500, and a Bach Strad with the 72 bell. Pretty tall list, and I'm really kicking myself for not being on the WT tour list right now. The Strad I can probably track down, and Tulsa is about a 5 hour drive from home, so that's definitely where I'll be going this summer sometime. A Kanstul horn I can trial from Jack or someone. BUT, here's where I run into my dilemma....where can I try the Concept TT? I'm really cursing my luck for not being able to go to the DFW Trumpetfest. I'd really like to try it some, just to satisfy that ultra nagging curiousity in the back of my mind.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Take this for what it's worth, but when you get to the higher level of horns (and I'm not positive that the Bach with the 72 bell belongs in the same category with the Selmer, Kanstul and Calicchios) the differences are not going to be huge. You could probably blindly choose any one of those horns off of the list, and it's going to be a great horn for you. If the Kanstul is what you desire, I would be willing to bet that if you get it, it is going to be a great playing, workhorse of a horn for you. Likewise with the Calicchios or the Selmer.

However, I do think that it would be a wise move to check out the Wild Thing too. I was the first person to get it when it went on the world tour and I can assure you, it is every bit as good of a horn as everyone claims. Unfortunately, I was not in a position to purchase one, but it's certainly on the short list of horns to choose from in the event that I ever decide to upgrade the one that I have.
    Another horn that was suggested to me to try was the Kanstul Chicago. From what I've been told, they play every bit as good as the old Benges, but Kanstul has improved on the intonation quirks of the original.

But, all things considered, I think that you are being smart about not jumping right in to a horn purchase. Win or lose, you are bound to have this horn for quite a while. My horn, a hand picked LB Bach Strad, I have now owned for 7 1/2 years. It's a solid horn, but it isn't a cut above. However, it isn't every day that I have a couple of grand just lying around to put toward a new horn purchase.

Keep playing different horns. When you find the one for you, you WILL know it.

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Also, don't be afraid to try a Zeus. You might be surprised at the performance versus the ZKT1500 and you could save yourself a load of cash.

I'm still seriously looking for a horn that outplays my Zeus with the round slide and I have only found one - a 50's vintage Mt. Vernon Bach Strad that my good friend and band leader owns and uses for everything.

Greg

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    The ZeuS G is all horn at a great price. Now the Olympus the 1500 are not that far apart in price.

trickg is right -- once you get to the top shelf of horns, comfort and your style are important. A good friend of mine just bought a Xeno. He liked the 1500A, but the Xeno was the horn for him. If you felt good with the 1500 and you never get around to a Concept TT, how far wrong can you go. You can easily try a Bach. It sounds like you want go to Tulsa and try the Calicchio. The WT will be a little harder to play. The suggestion of trickg about the Chicago model Kanstul is worth a try.

If you played all those horns, and felt comfortable with any of them, it would be time to buy and play, play, play. You would be surprised, no matter what top shelf horn you buy, how much more fun practice becomes :D

Jim

5. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, I have to agree with that last part. The Studio (no matter what some people may think of it because of its looks) is an awesome horn, and blows my venerable Omega to bits. And holy cows, it is a LOT more fun to practice with it, because I don't feel as if I'm fighting the horn as much.
    Unfortunately, fate has reared its ugly head, and I have some other hobbies that are now competing for my "funstash", so it's time for number crunching. But rest assured, I will not give up on the new trumpet idea just yet! 8)

Edit: Gzent, it's not that I'm afraid to try a Zeus, but it's just a matter of what I want the horn for. I did research a few, but none of them really seemed like what I was looking for. Plus they weren't at ITG, so I didn't get to play them, and regardless of why, that is a huge strike against them.

6. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Horn Haven in Dallas has the Kanstuls and the excellent Stomvi USA. You could try those in one setting and run over to Brook Mays on LBJ and have Roger Holmes show you four or five Bachs and the Yamaha Xeno 8335RG. With luck, I'll be in town and you could try my Concept TT.

If you try to make it to Dallas, let me know which weekend you'll be there and I'll try to be in town.

Dave

7. trodecke

trodecke New Friend

Jan 7, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I'm kicking myself right now for getting on the WT tour. I went back to my Bach this last Sunday at church and I realized just how stuffy it played compared to the WT. It got to the point during the pre-service rehearsal that I wanted to put it down and play my flugel for the service. The WT really is that good. I'll definitely be getting one, it's just a matter of time.

If you're going to go to Tulsa to look at the Calichios plan for a stop in Dallas and perhaps one in Oklahoma City. Clint 'Pops' McLaughlin is in Dallas and owns a WT, or at least he did the last time I spoke with him. You can take a lesson from him ( a great deal) and perhaps talk him into letting you try his WT at the same time. If you stop in OKC I've got a Bach 72* you can try for a while. Who know, I might need to sell it to help pay for the WT. :)

BTW - I wasn't kidding when I said with the WT and the #2 slide I had to work hard to get a bright tone even though I was using a Schilke 13A4A mpc. I've never been a good legit player but the sound I got with the #2 slide would have fit right in with just about any orchestral trumpet section around.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Here's an idea I have had for some time now...

Getting the parts of the horn separate (Like a valve block from Kanstul, A Pilczuk Mouthpipe, and a Schilke Bell and remaining parts), and having Kanstul do the completion work. Wonder how much that would cost?

Of course, Michael, if the valves are not GOD-AWFUL, you can have some replacement/customization done to it. I know as soon as I get the money, my Bach Strad is going to become the "Six-hundred dollar trumpet"

We can rebuild it..... :lol:

Van

9. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I don't recall mentioning that the valves on the Studio (and I guess that's what you're referring to) were bad. In fact, quite the opposite. They're faster than my Omega's Bach valve body, and for me, that is impressive. They are slightly loose, and since getting this horn, there's been a little voice in the back of my head saying "Resore it" going on for a while.