Why cant I play the cornet??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gfausel, Nov 11, 2011.

1. gfausel

gfausel Pianissimo User

May 1, 2010
    Binghamton, NY
    When I first got my cornet I did not note any differences. Then, gradually, I found that after about 10-15 minutes of playing my lips were shot. Could not even play a tuning note, just sputtering air. Picked up the trumpet, played with that, no problem. Eventually I could play some more on the cornet, but not a full session.

I am using a 6B in my trumpet, same in cornet. I have tried a 3C and a few others, but I seem to get the same results. Is this normal, any simple answer, or??

Thanks

Glenn

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    What a curious case.....

Questions:
    -How long do you usually practice?
    -How long have you been practicing since you got the cornet?
    -Are there any mechanical/functional problems with the cornet that you know of?
    - (this one doesn't really matter that much...) What model trumpet and what model cornet are you referring to?

The only time I have ever experienced anything close to what you are talking about was because of either 1) My lips were just plain dead; 2) The horn was the issue, and 3) One of the valves somehow got turned around the wrong way and blocked the air. All of these seem to be a different problem than what you are having though.....

Well, I'm sure TM will come up with some sort of answers for you. Until then, good luck!
    Kujo

3. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi,

At a guess, I suspect that you are trying to play the cornet in the same way you play your trumpet. The cornet does not project its sound as well as a trumpet and you may be overblowing to try and match the trumpet sound you hear in your head. So, start to listen to some cornet playing and enjoy the more singing qualities of playing as compared to always trying to "Maynard" it. My $.02

Cheers,

Brian

larry tscharner likes this.
  4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I like your answer Brian. I suspect that a cornet is more of a gentle play and over blowing is the leading cause of Pooping out (technical term, sorry). Does backing off help, Glenn? I hope its as easy as that!

BTW, Brian....love the town motto. Sounds like bureaucrats with a sense of humor, how did that happen?

5. Brian H. Smout

Brian H. Smout Piano User

Hi Larry,
    "Swift Current - where we're neither swift nor current" I believe was an observation made by a character named Charlie Farqurson. Charlie was the alter ego of a CBC Radio commentator Don Herron. He would deliver a one man comedy show in his trademark cardigan sweater, flat cap and annoying eastern Ontario accent. In Thunder Bay, Ontario he referred to the local Confederation College as " then you've got yer Confusion College". The real town motto is Swift Current - Where life makes sense. Now that took some bureaucratic sense of humour or the ridiculous perhaps.

Cheers,

Brian

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Charlie Farqurson, was that from the old tv show HeeHaw? Im not embarrased to say that I watched that show back then and liked most of it. Im not an old time country music fan, but the jokes were "corny" in the cornfield. Sorry Glen for hijacking your thread. I'l shut up now.

7. supposeda3

supposeda3 Piano User

Jan 3, 2009
    Central PA
    This is something I've always struggled with, but I dont play cornet enough to actually work on it :oops:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is something physically wrong with the cornet. There is no technical reason that you should wear out faster with a cornet than a trumpet. Get the horn looked at by a teacher or tech.

9. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    This is what I was leaning towards...It's really the only thing that makes sense. Unless there is something really crazy going on...

Kujo

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Glenn,
    Do you have any access to borrow another cornet or even a trumpet? As Rowuk says, it appears that there must be a problem with the cornet but if you can independently try another one, that would help to isolate the problem area(s). Kujo posed some questions that will also help if you will answer them. This sounds like time for a little bit of experimentation.