Why cant I play the cornet??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gfausel, Nov 11, 2011.

1. gfausel

gfausel Pianissimo User

May 1, 2010
    Binghamton, NY
    There is nothing wrong with the horn. As mentioned (sort of) after awhile I am able to play the cornet, but I have that period in there where nothing comes out. I will try tonight to play easier, also use my other cornet and see if that makes a difference. I will report back this evening. Thanks for all the help!

Glenn

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Glenn, I've not experienced that problem moving around from my trumpets to cornets. If you're moving from one size mpc to another that might be an issue but I doubt it. Not trying to start anything, but a trumpet and cornet are pretty close in the brass family tree. I see no reason logically why you can play trumpet then not cornet. If you were moving to a trombone or picc trumpet, I could see it (maybe).:dontknow:

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Just because the mouthpieces have the same number doesn't mean they are the same.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Duplicate Post...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    So, what kind of cornet is it? If there are no mechanical issues with the cornet, I'd guess you're using too much force with it and it's backing up on you, wearing you out.

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I had similar problems with my cornet, seemed nice in the beginning but then after a while. Definitely look at the valve alignment, and clean the thing. For me it turned out the buttons were the wrong ones causing a valve mis-alignment, and when I was cleaning it I noticed a cork piece came out of the end of the bell, couldn't have helped. Mine didn't have a problem with this, but do do a air leak check by either covering the bell or taking the third valve slide off and plugging it then trying to blow air through it, it shouldn't let any air through. I did end up getting a similar mouthpiece to the one I use on my trumpet, just to find out what if any difference there is in playability. I am guessing there is an overall resistance difference in the two horns, the cornet being much more free, wants lots of air.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If the valves are shot, this could account for your getting tired. You can do the above test on every valve. If you can hear air and there is no/little backpressure, the valves have probably seen better days.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Trumpet = Sugar
    Cornet = Brown Sugar
    Flugel = Molasses

[​IMG]

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I like the sound of my SIL's circa '60's Director. Almost flugle-like in my hands. Am looking to get one for my self. don't have much problem between the two. Playing my flugle does seem to tire me out much quicker, though. Not sure if that's because of the different depth of the mouth piece or not.........:oops:

10. gfausel

gfausel Pianissimo User

May 1, 2010
    Binghamton, NY
    Sorry for delaying my reply, but I was out of it for a week there.... the winner is..... missing spit valve cork!!

All is well, thanks to all who replied.

Glenn