Why Cat Anderson's mouthpiece worked for him.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Sep 20, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    But nobody's perfect... so why practice?

2. smokin valves

smokin valves Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2011
    Did some work a while ago about using a really small mpc on picc trumPet. I compared the average range of all brass instruments with the average rim diameter and extrapolated that to work out what I thought the average picc rim diameter should be. I don't have the figures ATM they're on my old pc, but I used the Cnc lathe at work to knock up some small pieces and they worked really well for me. It actually put my range on picc about an octave higher than my range on bb. I still use the pieces now when I have to play Brandenburg.

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I practiced for years and years and I can not play a triple C. I did not practice to be a triple C player, I practiced to be the best trumpet player I could be. I still practice every day, and I am still making adjustments in my playing. Smart practice will make you a fine player of the trumpet.
    Wilmer

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Well you know you're not addressing the subject. An obfuscation.

You don't have to a Triple C player. Maybe no one needs that note. There are however people here who will choose to make the commitment to become a THC player and this is their choice. From reading your previous post and the one before I would infer that you believe that mere practice and commitment alone is enough to attain this ability but this is provably incorrect.

So please feel free to play any type music you want. However we are discussing the conditions necessary TO play these extreme range notes. The kind of input you're giving here is about as pertinent to Triple C production as discussing bassoon reeds.

Somewhere there is a bassoon forum forum I'm sure.

This is a high note discussion. For better or for worse...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    Local357, with all due respect to you, Wilmer Wise has done it all. Principal trumpet, in a section with Cat, lead trumpet under Bernstein for West Side Story, many Broadway shows, and countless other jobs. He has said Cat used no tricks. Believe him. No one but Cat could tell what - if any - changes he may have made in his embouchure to play that tiny mouthpiece.
    I suggest you be a bit careful here. You may be on thin ice with the moderators.
    Rich T.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Richtom, I truly repect your trying to intervine, but here are the rules of the forum that apply to your concern:

1. No Personal Insults or Attacks.
    2. No Obscene Language.
    3. How this Site is Moderated... We do our best to make sure things run as smoothly as possible.
    5. Off topic posts will be moved to the correct forum.
    6. Do Not Post the Same Message in Multiple Forums.
    7. No SPAM.

I am learning much from reading the discussion between Local and Wiseone... I have seen no personal attacks, just defining positions. Definately no obscene language. I believe there is a smooth transition from post to post at this point. Local made a professional attempt to define the pont of the topic and appropriately posted to remind us of the purpose of the post. I have not seen the same message posted more than once or in other forums, and there is definately no spam..

So I say:

PLAY BALL

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    There is a simple answer............His mouthpiece worked for him because it is HIS mouthpiece.
    Wilmer

8. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I practiced for years and years to become a good jazz player and to have a usable triple G as part of my range. I'm still working on getting the triple f and g with the same volume as all the other notes, and it is going well. I am a professional freelancer and work around the NYC and tri-state area mainly doing jazz, lead, and commercial work. I think it is important to practice what you really personally want to do on the trumpet, and success can often follow that way. But the reason I wrote in was to clarify something about Cat's mouthpiece. I used to have a copy of Cat Anderson's mouthpiece..the high note one pictured on Ole's site. Yes, it had a thick rim and was a small diameter and shallow. But the 6a4 is not really THAT small of a diameter at .630 and the thick rim of Cat's mouthpiece in that picture makes it look smaller than it actually is. I think the diameter felt to me to be around a .590-.600 and the cup was NOT the shallowest I've ever played...but, yes, quite shallow. The reason I sold it was because it played too tight for me. The throat and backbore were really tight. The mouthpiece I play a lot now with my large bore horns, is a .560 diameter made for a lead trumpet player in Florida named Chad Shoopman. He has two diameter sizes and this one was made after he lost 100lbs (he has some very interesting things to say in Keith Fiala's book about diameter size and weight loss). It would be the same diameter as if Warburton made a size 14 and is the smallest commercially available mouthpiece i'm aware of. So, while Cat's mouthpiece is definitely small and shallow with a thick rim, it's not as crazy as people think!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    And he chose wisely. This simplicity makes complete sense to me.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    For goodness sakes gmonady, you're far too nice a guy to be a moderator...

I wonder how many kids here have tried "lip clamp squeaks" to get triples. I've done it yet (at least for me) it requires mouthpieces toward the other far extreme. Pieces as wide as the trombone but shallow like the trumpet. Oddly the middle register tone is about the best I've ever come up with.

The "clues" apparent are;

Soft, fleshly lips = smaller piece for THC....

Tighter, rolled in formation = large m/piece for register.

The above just my observation but likely accurate. More scholarly minds may pursue the deeper meaning of all of this.

As for me? I'm too tired of working this online keyboard. Kingtrumpet had it right: It truly is the IBM "Stinkpad"