Why come back to trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FreshBrewed, Mar 24, 2004.

1. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    The reason is quite simple

Why did I start playing again after 20 years? The first is I had a Bach Strad sitting in the closet that I worked all summer long detaseling corn to buy. The year before I got it, my parents paid $5/week for private lessons even though my dad was unemployed.
    The second reason is my children. All have started in band and play brass. The good Lord has blessed me with my own brass quintet (16 yo daughter on tuba, 19 yo son on trombone, 14 yo son on trumpet and 12 yo son on horn!). We played at Christmas time for the first time as a quintet and what parent wouldn't have beamed with the pride I did at that fantastic opportunity.
    The third reason is our church. In addition to my kids, my wife plays clarinet and we are the majority of the orchestra that accompanies the hymns each and every Sunday morning, both the 8:00 and 10:30 services. We have a great Pastor of Worship and the Arts that is a concert pianist and vocalist who leads our weekly practices and each Sunday morning.
    The forth reason is as I grow up (or older as my wife says, I'll never grow up) I have a little more money to experiment with different brands and models of trumpets, mouthpieces, etc. I have come to appreciate the difference in quality various models offer and I am also able to better understand why now that I have studied trumpet physics and acoustics.
    Music is a gift given by God that we can use to communicate with him and praise him any time we play. My only wish is He lets me play a LONG TIME.

2. chop

chop New Friend

Mar 27, 2006
    I had been playing trumpet since I was eight, and kept on playing till I was 40. I thought I needed a break and concentrate on other pursuits. Now I'm 50, and found that I missed playing and making music very much, and came to realize that the horn was very much part of who I am. I've only begun to pick it up again a few weeks ago and I also had had braces during the break. so I know that it will take a bit of time to get back in shape and get a new center to my sound. Yet, I've found it very easy to get back into the routine of practicing, and feel very encouraged so far. But most of all, I believe that in my return to playing, I have found more appreciation that I have the potential to create something special every day. I doubt very much that I will be taking any more extended hiatus in my lifetime - I just love it too much.

3. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Why did I come back to trumpet playing

I posted this earlier on a different thread, but here goes! :D

As a kid my goal was to attend Eastman. Upon completion I wanted to teach at a University and play in a symphony. I talked to my dad about my goals and he told me "that's stupid". So, after High School I quit, join the military, got married etc..... :-(

I stopped playing for about 10 years and then realized that something was missing in my life. THE TRUMPET!!!! :D

I started taking lesson and man, all those feeling I used to have started coming back. I love the trumpet. I'm 40 and think it may be too late for my original goal, but I'm starting and doing something. I'm taking lessons when I can from a great teacher. I learned that after coming back. There are those players who teach just because they think it's expected and then there are those who teach because they are really teachers! :dontknow: go figure huh? Anyway this guy is a TEACHER. I've learned more in a short time with him than I ever have!

4. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    You never forget your first love!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    But I'll bet she's forgotten about me! LOL.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I know I'm not the oldest guy here playing, nor was my break even close to be the longest break off of the horn, but the truth is, for me, there was just a big hole in my life that I didn't even realize was there until I did start playing again.

I played my last note prior to my break at the wedding of a friend back home in Nebraska. (A side note here - while I played ok at this wedding, I wasn't totally happy with it and had become somewhat frustrated with my playing.) I put the horn in the case, flew back "home" to Maryland and ETSed from the Army band program 4 days later. That was October 6th, 1999, and at the time I was still busy finishing out my technical courses for my tech diploma and looking for a new job in my technical field, so the top priorities weren't playing trumpet. Then, when I did get a job a couple of weeks later, again, the top priorities weren't playing horn, they were related to getting established in my new job. I had no gigs lined up and nothing specific to practice for, so I simply didn't practice at all - period.

Then, in March of 2001, a guy I know, (and many of the rest of you might know from here and TH) Bobby List called me and asked if I could sub a 1 set, 3rd book big band gig for him. My gut reaction was to tell him no - I hadn't played in a over a year and a half - my chops weren't in shape to play scales, much less a big band gig. The catch was that I had just over a month to prep for it, so I agreed, got the horn out and got to practicing. I also went to the rehearsals for the band and considering the amount of time I was off, I did ok. The job also went well and I had a great time doing it and realized how much I missed it.

I've been playing ever since. The one sub job led to other sub jobs, and the contacts that I made in the band led to my party band gig which I still have.

Why do I do it? I don't know - I love making music with others and I love the joy it brings to people wherever I play and whatever instrument I do it on, be it trumpet, vocals or drums, but that doesn't really cover my compulsion to continue my fight with the horn, or my compulsion to be a better drummer.

I just know that I have to do it, or I'm not whole as a person.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Why?

While in high school and college I was a slightly more than proficient trumpeter/cornetist. After college the military became my life with no time or opportunity to play my collection of horns. I had inherited a slew of vintage trumpets and cornets, thanks to my father and grandfather both being heavily involved in playing. After my retirement I did a lot of competition rifle shooting, and, having fun at it. This required a lot of practice to be competitive. Then, I had to have a long series of major knee surgeries which obviated my shooting from the sitting, kneeling, or prone, because I was unable to get back up once I got down into any of those positions. I became a couch potato.

One day, my wife wanted some help cleaning our storage,( junk ) room, which contained 28 trumpets and cornets. She reasonably asked what I intended to do with all of those old horns. I picked up one of the cases and after oiling the valves I tried to play it. I was disgusted with the awful noise that I made. I determined to improve on that. After playing every hymn in an old hymnal that was in the same storage room, I started to sound slightly musical. At this juncture, my neighbor from right accross the street stopped by and commented that I was sounding better all of the time. She is the principal clarinetist with our local,( Grand Rapids, Mi.) symphony. I thanked her for her comments and went back to playing from my old Arbans manual. Not more than a couple weeks later, she showed up with her friend who is the principal trumpeter with the same orchestra. After a couple cups of coffee, he wanted to hear me play and, he wanted to play every horn in my collection. Three hours later, Mike suggested that I could definately get into one of the local commuinity symphonic bands in this area. The rest is that I am now playing first book in two local community bands. For an almost seventy year old,( next week Wednesday ), I am having fun with my horns and, my wife is thrilled that her elderly husband has found something to do with his time other that try to wear out a television and sofa. I was away from my music for over FORTY FIVE YEARS. You can bet BIG money on my continuation of my musical 'career'. I doubt that I will, in the time still alloted to me, become a money maker in music, but, I am having fun.

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Lou, that's a great story!

I think that most people have a drive to do or be something a bit outside of the ordinary. Lou, you and my father both shared a passion for competition shooting. When I was a kid, dad was still competing quite a bit and the house was littered with trophies he had brought home from regional shoots.

I had always thought that once he was gone that I would want his gun collection (a better word would almost be "accumulation") to stay intact and that I would continue his legacy of shooting, reloading and gunsmithing. He passed quite suddenly in 1997 and since then I have discovered that guns, shooting and gunsmithing was HIS thing - my thing is music - it always has been and always will be and because of that, outside of a few pieces that are either family heirloom type pieces or specific guns that have some sentimental value to me, I have advised my mom to sell them for what they are worth.

But back to the subject:

My thing is music (trumpet, drums)
    My mom's thing is sewing.
    My sister's thing is gardening and landscaping.
    My wife's thing is scrapbooking.
    My son's thing is music (electric guitar)
    My daughter's thing is competition dance
    My father-in-law's thing was fishing with his boat
    My monther-in-law's thing is painting and crafts
    My brother-in-law's thing is Baltimore Raven's football.
    etc.

I think most people strive to do something above and beyond the normal every day life things, and even if those every day things get in the way and we have to take a break from what really moves us, eventually we will get back to it.

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    OLDLOU!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

-cw-

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Belated Happy Birthday, Lou. You've pretty much summarized why I started on trumpet too...(I wanted to be "ready" when I hit the magic numbers) and I'll add that being in a band is a social activity and gets you out to meet others who (aside from music) may have a totally different "take" on life.