Why Committee and Constellation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 22, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    True, every horn has it's own characteristics, even in the same make and model. True, Miles made the Martin Committee popular. True, Chet Baker made the Conn Constellation 38B popular. True, both horns in the "vintage" years cost a lot. But aside from the mystique isn't there a less expensive "vintage" horn that will give you what each of those horns give in the way of sound and technical characteristics? (mouthpiece and player aside).

crow

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Some of the best made value horns for the $$ in my opinion are the Roth and Reynolds vintage horns. Great pedigree, valves, quality etc. If everyone finds out the prices will start climbing!

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Wow, that s a great question.
    I think Phil Woods said it best when he said in his NYU Master Series DVD "A person's sound is to a large extent dictated by their physiogomy" .
    Now your question is how do I get that "vintage sound" from a contemporary horn and not have to sell the farm to do it.
    If you are using vintage and dark sounding as the same thing, then a ringmute on a comtemporary horn (Bach Strad, ect.) will do the trick. However, you will still sound like yourself, just a little darker.
    Also, sometimes you can get a great deal($500-600) on a Connstellation on ebay.
    Hope this helps

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Thanks for your replies. I'll be considering what's been said. I hope there are more suggestions.

crow

5. Bill McCloskey

Bill McCloskey Piano User

Apr 22, 2007
    I've played a lot of vintage horns. I love vintage horns. However, I don't think there is a horn modern or vintage that will give you what a Martin Committee gives you. These horns are just unique. At least mine is. Doesn't sound like any of my other horns.

BTW, it is up for sale at a reasonable amount on ebay right now and it is in great condition. 1951 Martin Committee Trumpet - eBay (item 280315893078 end time Mar-01-09 10:57:22 PST)

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    There probably is, but you won't find them easily. Legend has grown around certain horns that are no better nor worse than many others; they're just different. Some famous individuals played them and that was enough for the preconceptions to come out.

Some say the older Holtons have that darker tone, such as the 48 model. My own horn (1948 Buescher 400) has that big, bold, dark tone. There are probably others from the 40s and 50s. I don't have enough experience with them to say. Part of the problem is that the trumpet sounds different on either side of the bell.

Good luck in your search.

Tom

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Bill McCloskey, I would love to have that horn!!! But the only way I could afford it would be to do a cash and trade deal. I have great camera equipment, a vintage Conn Victor 22B, a motorcycle, antique Iron gates, and maybe I'd let go of my Vintage Couesnon Flugelhorn.

crow

8. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    To everyone else, thanks for the new ideas you presented.

crow