Why cornet for a beginning student?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Someone mentioned on my other thread that cornets are good for starting young kids. Why is that? I'm just curious. I like the cornet, myself. I think it has a nice sound and I am reminded of the old time brass bands, of which I am particularly fond.

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Easier to handle, smaller, lighter weight.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, maybe not lighter weight, but a cornet is shorter, so the mass is closer to the body. Plus, as a rule, cornets are a bit easier to play than a trumpet in certain situations.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I think there are a lot of factors, but to me it seems as if beginners who play cornet tend to progress more quickly than beginners who play trumpet. I believe beginners actually find it easier to produce a pleasing sound on a cornet than a trumpet thus encouraging the student to play/practice more. Absolutely no empirical evidence for this, just my opinion. If I had my way every student would begin on a cornet.

5. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    Interesting theory! I had a chance to hear the other band students, when I went with my son to the band solo performances. (I was his accompanist.) My son is much better than the other students, but I had attributed it to his dedication when it comes to practicing. I know that most beginners in my town don't practice much at home.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Give your son credit for his dedication. Time spent practising is a far bigger factor than the horn. Having said that, if a cornet is a little easier for a beginner to play, then it could encourage more enthusiastic practising.

In my part of the world, in the "olden days" a lot a kids started out on cornets because traditional brass bands were the predominant style of community band - so cornet was the small brass of choice.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, all the good responses taken. What they all said! LOL
    I learned on a cornet and didn't play trumpet until 8th grade. I recently had a small child express interest in trumpet. This kid was so small, I didn't think they could even hold a cornet! I found a pocket trumpet for them and the parents bought it. The kid is amazing! His mother though got tired of the noise, he played ALL the time! She switched him to piano! He is amazing on piano too. I told them the kid really has talent and they should help him go as far as he wants to. Anyway, a pocket trumpet could be an option for kids with smaller statures, plus they think they look cool!

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I see no advantage with a cornet. The mass is closer to the body, but essentially the same amount work to hold it. It is NOT easier to play. Especially in band, when you have to keep up with the trumpet players, you work harder.

Unless the junior bands in your area have "REAL" cornet sections, I would buy a trumpet like a Yamaha 2xxx or 4xxx model or Getzen Capri.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I keep hearing "easier to hold" as if a kid can't hold up a trumpet.

I remind everyone here, this trumpet is what I learned to play on. It might be heavier than some... but since no one told me it was hard to hold... I just held it and played. Must have played well enough, I was near to first chair in any school band that assigned chairs, and was first chair my senior year in high school as well.

So learning on a heavy trumpet clearly didn't hold me back.

Tom

[​IMG]

10. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Oh, and I will also point out that the Buescher 400 cornet played exactly like the trumpet. Just sounded different.

Tom