Why cornet for a beginning student?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I agree - in a German style band, a cornet would mean the player has some heavy going against the trumpets - especially in those bands that even don't countenance piston trumpets. And, of course, a cornet would be more of a melody instrument, whereas in Gerrman style bands the melody part is almost always taken by the flugels...

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    At what age did you start?

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    5th grade, ten years old.

Tom

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Everyone has opinions, don't they? A short cornet is easier for a child to hold correctly, especially for more than a few minutes. I wasn't talking about the longer American wrap cornet. As for cornets being buried in a trumpet section, we're talking about beginning kids here, not performing teenagers/adults.

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A small kid, I was barely 4 feet and 50 lbs when I started on the trumpet aged 8. Mind you, in those days we spent most of our free time outside playing football, or just larking around instead of loafing about with playstations......

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Playstation when I was a kid came with a slide! :-)

7. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Also, cornets are cheaper than trumpets these days. EBay is full of fine cornets at very low prices, if you know what to look for.

8. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I find it difficult to dismiss the cornet as a legitimate instrument to start on. One can argue the benefits of the shorter reach that the cornet affords (it does) and its significance, but cornet playing may have long term benefits to players as they advance because the mellow tone it produces. Bud Herseth, Phil Smith, Armando Ghitalla, Maurice Murphy credit their cornet roots as a major factor in their development of proper aural concepts for playing lyrical passages and certain romantic-style compositions (from Prof Hickman's "Trumpet Pedagogy"). Maybe cornet is not for everybody to start on--I doubt that it is--but it seems that many a great player used it to great advantage.:-)

9. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Christine,
    I don't agree that starting a kid out on cornet is the best avenue. The trumpet (in America) is the preferred instrument when the two are compared. As for sound? I prefer trumpet. As for marketability, trumpet, you just don't see a lot of cornets in the symphony. Cornet is a fine instrument but it is not a substitute for trumpet. Cornet is it's own creature. If a child is on the small side, there' are pocket trumpets which seem to be "smaller" than cornets. I started my daughter out on a pocket trumpet and now at 10 yrs. old, she plays a Holton for daily use and a Bach 180/37 for performances.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Dale,
    You mentioned:
    "As for cornets being buried in a trumpet section, we're talking about beginning kids here, not performing teenagers/adults."
    ---
    Unfortunately, they're still going to get buried and the person will have to work harder to keep up the sound. Also, cornet is it's own creature and I still contend that it's not fair to compare them. It's apples and oranges. If a person wants to compare various brands of cornet, then okay, I get it.
    Also, do you want a kid to start band and have a horn that's well... how can I put this? A little "unendowed" when compared to the huge round sound of the trumpet trumpet.
    You don't want the kid to have trumpet envy now do you?
    Dr.Mark