Why cornet for a beginning student?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by christineka, May 3, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Hmm, blindfolded sound test: Is that 5th grader playing a cornet or trumpet? You got a 50/50 chance of guessing right. You have a"100%" chance of being right if you say they're using a 7c mpc.;-)
    When most of us came up playing, cornets didn't have the "stigma" they have now. Give a kid a cornet now and they're "scarred "for life. Cornets were and still are readily available and cheap on the used market. They are easier to hold for most unHulklike kids. Pocket trumpets weren't available the way they are today. I say play what you can afford. I played cornet for three years then moved to my trumpet. For a beginner, cornet is not a bad place to start. At least it isn't a ..... ;-)

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I started out a wimp in grade school. But then started out of the gate playing on the trumpet. It made me the man I am today!

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Vern,
    You stated:
    "I find it difficult to dismiss the cornet as a legitimate instrument to start on."
    ----
    I don't think that's the issue here. The cornet is a fine legitimate instrument but not an instrument that's been in favor at the present time and (in America) hasn't been for years. I could be wrong but the issue is trumpet or cornet for a young person that's a little small. Think about it, do you see a lot of cornets in a school band? I don't.
    Dr.Mark

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh, careful there Dr.Music Man:
    "Seventy-six trombones led the big parade
    With a hundred and ten cornets close at hand."

I'm thinking there is trouble in River City with that logic!:lol:

5. christineka

christineka Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2010
    I know the case in my town is that the school band partners with a music store for rentals, so the parents usually rent really expensive, cheaply made newer instruments, so no cornets. The other parents buy cheapo chinese instruments from ebay.

I wanted a decent horn for my son and the cornet was in my budget (which was very low). I rented a low quality violin for my daughter and learned not to ever do that again.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    After I'd been learning for a couple of years, I asked my tutor (then principal cornet in one of the UKs top 3 brass bands) why he started me off on trumpet rather than cornet. The gist of his reply was that from lesson 1, I made a trumpet sound like a trumpet (a word he often used was 'declamatory' which is apparently a bit of a challenge for a cornet). If I'd made it sound like a cornet, he'd have switched me over fairly quickly onto cornet. If neither, next stop was bone.

His view (and he also played trumpet occasionally for the Halle Orchestra) was that trumpet technique and cornet technique have some fundamental differences and you should choose according to the childs 'natural' sound, rather than a sound concept you happen to prefer.

Maybe you could let them try both, preferably with an experienced tutor present, before deciding which direction to start on. Might be an idea to ask the kid's opinion too ;-)

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    Good to hear from you!
    You strated:
    "Ahhh, careful there Dr.Music Man:
    "Seventy-six trombones led the big parade
    With a hundred and ten cornets close at hand."
    ---
    Oh my, just think, during that parade, people were tweeking on the telegraph.
    The Music man with Robert preston was always one of my favorites. I also like the Godzilla movies. My favorite is Destroy All Cornets....err..I mean Destroy All Monsters. Sorry about the Freudian slip. Freudian slip!?! Heck I didn't even know he wore a dress!!
    Dr.Mark

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Christine,
    You stated:
    "I wanted a decent horn for my son"
    --
    School is just about out so you might want to keep an eye on the Classified section in the paper. A lot of kids will be dumping their instruments for cash to go on vacation.
    Dr.Mark

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I detect a distinct anti-cornet bias here, bordering on trumpet-player delusions of superiority...:D

Sure, all other things equal, a trumpet can play a bit LOUDER than a cornet, but there's more to playing an instrument than sheer volume. I gave my nephew a Conn Director cornet to play as a beginner and he's now first chair in the high school band. His dad just bought him a trumpet (probably peer pressure), but that old cornet didn't seem to stunt his development.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    On a $150 budget, If you have Divine intervention, you can get a pro trumpet. I have several. If time is of the essence and the budget is firm, you may have to "settle"on a cornet. It won't hurt him. Some type of incentive could be used to get a trumpet based on performance and practice. You have 6 kids. You know what to do, my hats off to you!